New Poll, Should active auction postings be allowed?

Don Coatney

Should postings of active E-bay auctions be allowed  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Should postings of active E-bay auctions be allowed

• Yes post them
    • NO DO NOT POST THEM
    • Post them only if you are the seller
    • I really dont give a hoot

I don't mind some posting of auction items.....I sometimes do it. It is some people's contention that by posting the auction here or elsewhere, it can help drive up the price by presumably inviting more bidders. Lately, I have simply posted some pictures of cars I found interesting, with no link to the ad. Therefore if anyone is interested to see more, they can go hunt it up on ebay.

I have occasionally sent direct e-mail to an individual forum participant when I know they are looking for a certain item. Hopefully they find it helpful. It is hard to stay on top of the 'bay 24/7.

I put one item in the "parts for sale" portion of the new forum and it was purchased by another member. So, that feature should be used when possible. The easy way to view all the 1946-47-48 parts on ebay is to put in a search this way: (1946,1947,1948) Plymouth. You can put this into your favorite searches section also.

How about open a forum on eBay auctions that might be of interest and have as many as possible posted.

eBay is not a secret society, and if we were all standing around somebodys shop with a brew, would we avoid bringing up an eBay auction we came across or an ad in the local buy & sell that we saw?

I Like seeing what others find interesting.

I also like the odd and bizzare from eBay and elsewhere.

I say let 'em be posted...encourage them to be posted, maybe a forum of its own.

I do have a problem with posting active e-bay auctions. On more than one occasion (and I do not use the bay often) I have found an item that I am interested in then loaded and aimed my sniper ware in hopes of winning the auction at a fair price. Suddenly the item I am in hopes of winning is posted here and gets several bids from forum readers who may or may not have a need for the item.

As most of you know you can place an early "proxy" bid on the bay for an item at the highest amount you are willing to pay. This bid will show at the next highest increment. As an example if the starting price is $50.00 and you are willing to pay $200.00 you can place your proxy bid of $200.00 early in the auction but your bid will only show up as a $50.00 bid assuming you are the first and only bidder. Suddenly the auction is posted here and other forum readers are now aware of the auction even though they did not do there homework and search for the item on there own. Suddenly another bid is placed for $75.00 and the new bidder finds he is not the high bidder due to your "proxy bid of $200. This new bidder is willing to pay $150.00 so he starts upping his bid in $10.00 increments until he hits his upper limit. Now the original bidder who may have been able to buy the item for fifty bucks now must spent over $150.00 to get the item. But wait there is more. Another forum reader thinks the item is still at a good price even though he also did not do his homework and search for the part on his own and really does not need the part. But he is willing to pay $185.00 for the part. So he jumps in and ups the ante. Now the original bidder who had a good chance of getting the item for fifty bucks must spend over $185.00.

That is why I use sniper ware. I can place my $200.00 bid without notice and if the auction is not publicized I have a good chance of getting it at a low fifty dollar price.

So for those who think it is OK to post these auctions here I suggest the next time you find something on the bay that you want and it is listed at a fair low price post the auction here at the same time you submit your bid and see what happens. I see lots of folks posting closed auctions here on this forum bragging about the good deals they found on the bay but I rarely if ever see anyone posting an active auction they have bid on or they are interested in bidding on.

I have to agree with Don on this one.... I've had a couple of auctions that I was ready to snipe, but after them being posted here, they went way above what I was prepped to pay.... within the day after it was posted, and not necessarily by one of the regulars, but by the lurkers....

In another case I had a discussion with one of the members that was interested in the item, but only after he heard about it here, and he respectfully stepped aside, but even then, the price had gone up exponentially after being posted here.....

I agree with Pat in that in general, it is fun to see the auctions posted here, however, when you find something after a long search and all of a sudden it becomes public knowledge to over 100 people that may be searching for it (while before it was mentioned there might have been 3-5 that knew about it) it becomes harder for those with the shallow pockets....

I also agree with Bob that if I see something that I KNOW someone is looking for, I'll PM em or send em an email.... in private....

And as for Marty, I know that if and when I do sell my stuff on the bay (which I will when I"m sure I no longer need the items), I will be DEFINITELY offering them here first before posting on the bay.... If I can help people here get stuff, I will.... I just want to make sure that everything is fair for everyone involved.

Allan

And as for Marty, I know that if and when I do sell my stuff on the bay (which I will when I"m sure I no longer need the items), I will be DEFINITELY offering them here first before posting on the bay.... If I can help people here get stuff, I will.... I just want to make sure that everything is fair for everyone involved.

Allan

Good for you! I have given stuff to forum members for the cost of the freight that I could have sold on eBay, just because it felt like a nice thing to do!

Marty

Many of you have probably seen my '53 Cranbrook photo on this site from time to time. If it weren't for one of the guys here tipping me off to the cars being auctioned off I would have never found it. But as a result of allowing the posting of active auctions I would up with the car and love it. So I say YES, let them be posted. I can understand a guy wanting a certain item and not want the competition. So, if you see someone posting an item that you are bidding on, why not say so and then hope that everyone here will not tread on your territory.

Bob,

I just wanted to mention that for me, posting cars is just fine... I have a problem with the parts more than the cars... the higher the $ value, the less people are involved anyways.... but I'll use as an example a large block dual intake..... try and find one... not easy.... and if you do find one, the less competition you have for it (especially those that just want it for "resale") the better.....

Allan

Guest usedmind

I am kinda undecided and new here but I will say what I know. I won a new fuel pump for almost nothing because the guy didnt know what it was for. My P15 now runs because of it.

I am now bidding on a piece of door chrome only because I wasnt a member of this forum when I found it. A link to this guys stuff was posted on the forum but so far it doesnt seem like I have much competition (hopefully for my wallet it stays that way).

I know personally I will from now on offer any extra parts I have to this forum first and also ask around for parts I am looking for.

Andy

Looks like the P15-D24 forum members votes are way in favor of posting ebay auctions. I'll admit it, my vote was one of the "don't give a hoots".

Tim, IMHO the last thing I would want to do is use the HAMB as a model for anything on this forum. If I want a big shot of latent hostility I can always visit over there, but the P15 group is a cut above that, and better for it, don't you think?:rolleyes:

I agree with Don and Tim too. I hardly even search for the correctly listed stuff anymore. I look more for mislisted items. I got a perfect sedan trunk ornament for $7+shipping because it was listed wrong.

Sometimes I will tell a seller if its identified wrong if I don't intend to bid. Just because I'd rather see it get relisted correctly then thrown away.

OK.....maybe I won't post any more active auctions, nor tell any sellers what they really have. I agree, after listening to others here....probably just need to let everybody shop for themselves. Or pass on things of interest via PM or email person to person. It always amazes me how many people are now buying old Plymouth parts - after all the years the old Plyms were ignored. Still see very few at shows and events in this area. Judging by the constant buying of parts, I guess that all of a sudden about 5,000 Plyms are gonna pop out of the woodwork someday.....all restored to A-1 shape. :)

Norm, I think you're onto something there. Each person has their own take on sniping, and that's what makes the world go round. It's not gonna go away no matter what I think. But the single item that most takes the enjoyment out of ebay for me is the sniping. I agree multiple snipers are the cause of some of these price run-ups. Like you, I just figure my max bid, post it and I don't even look at the auction again til it's over. If I miss the item, life goes on. If someone else gets enjoyment from another method, I'm happy for 'em.

OK.....maybe I won't post any more active auctions, nor tell any sellers what they really have. I agree, after listening to others here....probably just need to let everybody shop for themselves. Or pass on things of interest via PM or email person to person. It always amazes me how many people are now buying old Plymouth parts - after all the years the old Plyms were ignored. Still see very few at shows and events in this area. Judging by the constant buying of parts, I guess that all of a sudden about 5,000 Plyms are gonna pop out of the woodwork someday.....all restored to A-1 shape. :)

Bob,

That’s very funny and I think you are right. With all the parts being sold back and forth on ebay and the number of members here working on this specific model of Mopar it is surprising how few P15D24’s I have seen at shows or on the road.., at least here in Northern Virginia. I think you are right in another 12 months or so 5,000 restorations will pop out of the woodwork. Well I am hoping that at least one will pop out around here.., and that’s mine.

As an aside:

I think that the board members that have viewed this post and not voted did so because they don’t have a strong opinion in either direction. They probably don’t care one way or the other and do not want to cloud the issue. The point is.., posting an auction is great if nobody else wants the item and bad if everyone wants the item. How do we cut this baby in half.?

I have seen cars posted out of concern that they will not fall into good hands. Then on the other hand.., one of us might have been watching the auction and waiting to snag it at the last moment. I thought I knew what the right answer was until I read all the posts and there are good arguments on both sides of the issue.

No offence.., I like you guys, but if I am bidding on something I need.., I would rather tell you about it after I purchased it. I have to go with no… Of course if I see something that someone is looking for I will email that person if I saw it on the bay but I don’t think I would post the auction on the forum.

My two cents… Chet…

Norm, I sometimes put in my "Maximum Bid" as offered on ebay. Of course, even that can run up the price when someone else starts bidding one at a time. Each time they bid, they get zinged by the "you have been outbid" notice. Then they go again. Up to a point where they don't want to pay any more for the item. So, now your $10 bid is up to $18 or $20. You may get it for that....or the next bidder may have more spending money to work with and you then lose anyway.

I like the sniper thing (have used it maybe 3 times) as it does not run up the bid in the meantime. However, if a couple of sparring last minute bidders run the cost up too far, you can still lose based on your max limit. Nothing is foolproof except for being willing to spend a bunch of money sometimes.

Like the current Playstation3 craze. Saw one with asking price of $1500. They claim one sold for $10,000 the first day.

5188_1.JPG

No!

It's not fair to those who have spent their time looking for an item only to have some knucklehead expose it and increase the auction astronomically. I have a feeling most people who post auctions have nothing to contribute to the forum discussions. Sorry to be so harsh but these people, although unaware, are spoilers. When I first joined the old forum I believe posting auctions were not allowed. I come hear for tips, ot's, and updates/ pictures NOT to snipe something from my fellow forum member.

Not everyone has the big bucks to outbid someone.

You snooze you loose.

Early bird gets the worm.

Best.

ARTHUR

So, if we avoid posting current auctions here on the forum - does anyone have any objection to the posting of an occasional closed sale just to show how much a person paid for a certain item.....which is sometimes a pretty ridiculous figure.

I've always felt that if there are no bids, I'll post it. Too bad for those that use sniping software. Ebay wasn't designed for the use of sniping software, and if it was used as designed (enter the max you're willing to pay) a bid will show up.

Steve;

Do you work for E-bay:confused:

What you say is not necessarly true. I bought my car on E-bay long before I used or even knew about sniper programs. I waited until the last 20 seconds left in my cars auction before I placed my bid.

My point is that the best way to win an auction is to place your bid shortly before the auction closes using a sniping program or doing it manually. I fail to understand why anyone would want to place there higest proxy bid when an auction has a lot of time left. I watch items I have an interest in buidding on and E-bay will alert me when the auction is near the end.