New to this site.

Guest usedmind

Guest usedmind

I was starting to do a tune up about a month ago and came across this site. It is awsome and so helpful.

I had been looking for a 40s car for sometime and this summer I was driving home from my grandparents house in Indiana and I saw a curve of a fender. I pulled of the side of the road and went back into the field where there were many different classics but one caught my eye, a PLymouth Special Deluxe (a two door malibu wagon, studabaker truck, conv. belair)

So after finding out who owned the land and making him an offer I aquired a 1946 P15 and have since completely fallen for the car.

I dont know much about the history of this particular car but here is what I know. It was on the road about a year ago before I had it. They sold it to a now defunkt car lot. Then I picked it up from there. From what I can tell it has been wrecked and the doghouse was replaced, or possibly replaced due to rust.

I am trying to find out as much about this car as I can and plan to drive it alot after engine and brake work. I am keeping it as mostly stock with some safety upgrades since I plan to drive it often.

Here is a link to a site with some pictures.

http://custom.autos.yahoo.com/gallery/overview-car-15410;_ylt=ArJDl0paNHDZtHMr2TzcgcPMdscF

I am missing a few odds and ends which I am slowely aquiring.

But I just thought Id introduce myself.

Thanks for your time

Andy

ps if someone looks at the pictures and knows if the interior looks original or not let me know, I dont know how to tell.

Nice car! I would say the interior is close to orginal fabric but newly installed. I believe you got a good interior that has been redone close to orginal.

Looks to me like you got a very good daily driver and have alot ,if not all, the hard and expensive interior work done.

There is a wealth of info and experience here on this site - USE IT! Most of us or at least one of us will be able to help U. Many of us have "Been there done or fixed that" and can help u.

These pics are of my 46 coupe that had orginal material replaced with "orginal type material"

rear3.jpgdoor3.jpg

Welcome to P15-D24. You have arrived at the best sit for info and help with your car, there is a wealth of knowledge and great people here willing to help you. Your P15 looks like a good, solid car to start with. Seems like the seats and headliner have been renewed which is a good thing and the bumpers look in good shape in the pics, re-chroming could be expensive.Good Luuck, Brendan.

Sharp looking interitor. The rubber ion the runing board/sill liiks to be in good shape also. Looks like it has been a lightly used and fairly wel cared for. Good find. enjoy your car and this site.

Now about that studebaker truck you mentioned..... Whee ae you in Indiana, and could you perhaps get some information regarding it. I have been searching for a 49-56 Studebaker 1/2 ton Pick up for quite a while, and would appreciate it if next trip you might have a look and snap a couple of pictures. I have sent you a Personal message.

Welcome Andy. Nice interior in your new car. Looks like you found a good one to get back on the road which is the main goal. You'll like it here. Good people and information at your finger tips. Best of all, folks who have the same interest. Speaking of which, I noticed that your screen name where your pictures are mentions a 74 El Camino. Do you have one of these as well? I ask because I have a 76 GMC Sprint and know the headache of finding parts for these year models.

Good luck on your project and dont be a stranger, Ed

Hi. Welcome. The car looks like a good starting point.....pretty straight and solid. The interior, as others have said, has an original look. The door panels even have the maroon strip across the bottom, like original. Looking at the wheel covers (maybe 58 Dodge caps), it appears the wheels are 14 inch. These cars in 1946 would have had 16 inch wheels. Then they went in 1948 to a 15 inch rim. 14 inch wheels began with old MoPars in 1957 as I recall. However, you can have whatever you like on one of these older vehicles....that's the beauty of it. Suit yourself. I have added some period accessory items to mine, while maintaining a generally original look on the exterior......and use 55 Chrysler wheels.

2_5_4_2_.jpg

Have seat covers on the seats for now and made my own door panels, so they are not quite original. Eventually will have the seats and panels re-done closer to factory.

100_2417.jpg

So, enjoy your car and purchase a couple books - a repair manual and a parts manual. They are often listed on ebay in the 1946-47-48 Plymouth section. There are originals, reprints and some on CD. Very helpful for many things.

Looks like you've got a real nice car. The interior looks great but the material and design aren't quite like original. I tried to find reproduced original interior fabric for a '47 DeSoto but found that it isn't available. I imagine that it is the same for P-15s. I sure wouldn't worry about it unless you're a purist. Have lots of fun with this car!!