Copper Compression Gasket ? ? ?

James-48-B1B-108

Changed the oil on my '48 B1B and the drain plug slipped from my fingers and fell in the oil change pan. After the oil was fully drained, I reached into the collection pan and fished out the drain plug, threaded it back in the oil pan to a reasonable torque. I filled the crank case with fresh oil and then proceeded to empty the collection pan into an old jug. When empty, on the bottom of the pan I found a large copper compression washer of a size that looked about right to be able to fit around the drain plug. Is there supposed to be a washer around the drain plug ? ? I'm not eager to drain the new oil to check this out and not surprisingly, I can't find any diagrams that show a detail of the pan and plug. There doesn't seem to be any seepage of fresh oil around the drain plug. I would very much appreciate a dose of your knowledge on this and apologize for making a short story long.

I looked in my 36-42 Desoto Master Parts book and for the 36-42 years it does show a drain plug and a metal washer. The one on my 39 Desoto has a copper washer.  If the oil pan is not leaking at the plug than you might has a good seal but keep the washer put a note some where in your garage that on the next time to install the washer when you change the oil.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I have a MOPAR small parts catalog and I looked in the section for gaskets- annular Type a and found the oil pan cooper gasket information for my 39 Desoro  which is part number  105456.

ID + .890  OD =  1 1/8  thickness  3/32  copper  asb

So if you can tell me your part number I might be able to give you the specific size for your oil pan.

This is why I tell car owners to collect catalogs so you can get the information.

I have this catalog on CD and the information that is contained is very useful..

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

I have also seen and used those red/orange fibre washers on the oil pan drain plug and even white plastic washers.......something to seal is whats needed....andyd

I have a package of assorted gasket sheets, Think I first tried making a cork gasket, I can say that failed.

Or at least it was not re-usable., Think I will try the rubber sheet material next ....or maybe the blue fiber sheet.

thats if the parts house does not have a copper alternative to offer. Not asked yet.

Thank you all for your input, I've been traveling and couldn't check my topic string until today. The truck is up in the barn which is 250 miles north of where I live, and now that I know it needs a washer, I will have to locate a new one and bring it up with my next visit. That is extremely helpful for sure.

If your quick enough, you can remove the drain plug and put your thumb over the hole, replace the washer and put the drain plug back in. You'll only lose a little bit of oil, maybe a 1/4 of a quart. Just be sure you can put the washer on with one hand or have some one do it for you. 

Joe Lee

• Like 1

As a final follow-up, I finally got back to the truck and took the calipers to the gasket I found in the drain pan and the drain plug itself, and measured 22mm ID X 30mm OD X 1.5mm Thickness. Found: 20Pcs 22x30x1.5mm Copper Crush Washer Flat Ring Seal Gasket Fitting M22 on Amazon.com for $7.99 with free shipping. Thanks again for your help.  

Was your old gasket made of copper?  If so it can heated up to a cherry red with a propane torch, allowed to cool and saved for future use. The heat will resoften the copper to a  reusable condition.

Used to do that "trick" with my Triumph MC head gaskets. It was actually a recommended procedure in the repair manual.

DJ