Hydraulic lift ramps

greg g

I have not used those particular ramps. I have however given these type of ramps some considerable thought.

I think to myself:

This hydraulic set only allows you to lie down under the car.  Ok for oil changes. Ok for some other work under the car.  Like oil pan reseal. Bottom end engine work. Tie rods. However you can’t do wheel & brake work. Tires must stay on the car to use these. If you had four of these  could get all corners of the car up. However you can’t sit up on a stool to work under the car. These take up considerable storage space compared to a bottle jack and two safety stands. Using safety stands under the frame rails gives you access to everything. 

What is the benefit of these hydraulic ramps versus the old drive-up simple $50 set of ramps? Or folks who cut and stack 2x12 lumber to build their own drive up ramps? 

For a person who may struggle to get jacks and stands under a car these may be better. That’s about all can think of.

Not very useful for me in my experience. I prefer a floor jack on wheels and safety stands. Feel free to convince me otherwise. 

I have to agree with Keith's take on this...while nice, they are limited in their use.  Also not mentioned is storage space and their very weight just moving them about.  You may be better served looking at a scissor whole car lift.  They are affordable and for the most part capable units.  I would however probably look to adding outriggers for increased stability but maybe that is just me overthinking things....you can also leave the scissors lift in place and just park over it so no reals storage space lost.

I too have warmed up to a drive-on scissor type  lift. They often get up high enough up to sit on a shop stool while under the car. Additionally brake and wheel work can end up at a nice waist height for working. Their downfall is tranny, drive line access is sometimes limited. Depending on design. 

There always seems to be compromise. For me the ultimate solution would be a 2 post lift. No room though. I digress. 

I have found that I do a majority of my body welding and finishing while on my 4 post lift.  Though I do have a jacking tray that slide...it is still not the most easy to make 4 wheel lifts while on the ramps.  While I still do 4 wheel brake jobs and tire rotations and what not...it is with added work.  I just recently purchased a used Bendpak 4 post 12K rated commercial alignment lift with walk through front.  Twin rolling jacks and alignement turntables came with it.  I have it rebuilt now...but cannot get my concrete man out to pour some my slab.  The intent is to roll my smaller 4 post out under an awning and keep as much welding and dust from inside the shop and set the big boy in my bay where the present lift now sits.  A proper made scissors will best a drive on 4 post for the most part as the wheels are free when in the air giving one an instant access to their removal.  I was entertaining a scissors lift when I found the one I bought.   I am comfortable on a chair with wheels doing body work.