Tie Rod ends

greg g

Time to replace mine, have searched by vehicle and year for 46 P15, sites show an array of choices and price levels from 10 bucks each to infinity and beyond.  Most sites show inner and outer some specify right inner and outer, some show four for big bucks, nowhere do I see a description for left. Looking at Moog for 20 to 30 bucks each but want to make sure I get what I need.  Has anybody done this recently and maybe post part numbers for cross over?  Gonna have them installed at a local shop and don't want to tie him up by not having the right pieces.

Rock Auto shows es158r, and es158L as Moog numbers.  So do I just get 2 rights and rwo lefts???

Edited by greg g

From my knowledge each tie rod should have a left and a right tie rod end so that toe in/toe out can be adjusted without having to remove the tie rod end, but just by loosening the tie rod end clamp......have not seen different numbers for each side, ie, the short or long tie rod, due to the dog bone shaped pitman arm the tie rods attach from the top or bottom but have not seen any difference other than a left or right thread.........maybe we had it simpler here in Oz..............andyd 

From my parts book for "49 Plymouth P17/P18:  the inner tie rod ends have right hand threads and the outer tie rod ends have left hand threads.  My part numbers are same as supplied by YukonJack and my memory is same as Andydodge.

Check Rock Auto they listed tie rod ends  for my 1951 Dodge truck, they might have units for your car.

Edited by 1949 Wraith

If you are unsure what to order call a parts company and tell them what you need. Let them provide the parts. If they get it wrong it's their problem and you can send them back.  As mentioned there is a left and right inner, left and right outer. RH and LH threads. In my car the left outer and the right inner are the same part. The Right outer and the left inner are the same part. So you are likely buying 2 of one part number, and 2 of another. Having a parts manual for your car can be very helpful in times like this. You can look up the original part number and search it out on Ebay. I found two NOS tie rod ends listed by the original Chrysler part number. Seller did not know what they fit. He just had the part number as listed on the box. I got a smoking deal on a pair of OEM originals. Off-shore cheap ones made today are not great and would have cost me considerably more. Out smarting the seller is a good tactic!

Keith

Edited by keithb7

15 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

If you are unsure what to order call a parts company and tell them what you need. Let them provide the parts. If they get it wrong it's their problem and you can send them back.  As mentioned there is a left and right inner, left and right outer. RH and LH threads. In my car the left outer and the right inner are the same part. The Right outer and the left inner are the same part. So you are likely buying 2 of one part number, and 2 of another. Having a parts manual for your car can be very helpful in times like this. You can look up the original part number and search it out on Ebay. I found two NOS tie rod ends listed by the original Chrysler part number. Seller did not know what they fit. He just had the part number as listed on the box. I got a smoking deal on a pair of OEM originals. Off-shore cheap ones made today are not great and would have cost me considerably more. Out smarting the seller is a good tactic!

Keith

If you look at the page from the parts manual I posted you are correct. Your car only has 2 different part numbers. The Plymouth and Dodges have 3.

I got mine from my local O'Reilly's Auto Parts for my 48 P15. The part numbers are MPC ES158R and MPS ES158L, the same Moog numbers as Rock Auto shows. They are $22.00 each, at O'Reilly's, with Limited Lifetime Warranty. They have been on my car since August. Be very careful threading them into the tie rods. They have fine threads, and are quite easy to cross thread. Don't ask me how I know.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So now all I gotta do is wait for the two O RIELYS they're building to open. I'll give Napa a go. Although the last time I went I stood at the counter for 45 seconds while the employee excersized his thumbs on his cell phone, he didn't even look up as l went out the door.

My parts book says I need 2 each 302's and one each of 303 and 305.  That seems to match the numbers Yukon put up.  Hopefully there is a crossover in the Napa book.

Edited by greg g

18 minutes ago, greg g said:

So now all I gotta do is wait for the two O RIELYS there building to open. I'll give Napa a go. Although the last time I went I stood at the counter for 45 seconds while the employee excersized his thumbs on his cell phone, he didn't even look up as l went out the door.

My parts book says I need 2 each 302's and one each of 303 and 305.  That seems to match the numbers Yukon put up.  Hopefully there is a crossover in the Napa book.

Rock Auto can have you a set of four for about $35 in 3-4 days.......

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/plymouth,1948,p15+deluxe,3.6l+218cid+l6,1486874,steering,tie+rod+end,7428

Edited by Sam Buchanan

On 10/17/2019 at 6:24 PM, Sam Buchanan said:

Rock Auto can have you a set of four for about $35 in 3-4 days.......

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/plymouth,1948,p15+deluxe,3.6l+218cid+l6,1486874,steering,tie+rod+end,7428

I only see them listed for Inner and Right Outer. No Left Outer listed.

33 minutes ago, YukonJack said:

I only see them listed for Inner and Right Outer. No Left Outer listed.

I would order two 158L and two 158R....and wouldn't be surprised when everything worked out fine.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

14 hours ago, greg g said:

Going to take my parts book and visit the next village east of here. There is an auto parts placed that been in business in the same location for 65 years.  Still have their books on the counter next to the cash register.

I am fortunate to have two such stores in town. I can remember as a teenager when the father of the current owners of the NAPA store sold parts out of his truck to local gas stations. When I bought a couple of 6v bulbs for the P15 one of the guys told me there was no telling how many miles those bulbs had traveled in his dad's truck. They also have a rack of parts books that must be at least ten feet long.  I try to support these stores as much as possible!   :)

• Like 1

The old parts store could only verify 1 number, the other came up as a dead number from Moog.  Napa the guy said he couldn't pull any thing up.  Orielys opened, they will be here Thursday, 21 bucks each less 10% grand opening discount, appt to have them installed for next Tuesday. Too close to the floor for me to deal with...

Thanks for all yalls input.