Soaing Pistons Before Start-up

Bingster

If I was going to do first start in years on this car.

First let me add, the motor oil you added is good, but not great, but it may have prevented the rings from seizing.

A motor sits for years, and the rings tend to seize to the pistons, now you do not have good compression when you try to start it.

You need a light oil like mmo to soak in and free the rings. Putting motor oil in did not hurt anything, and may have helped.

So adding a light oil like mmo, some like a 50/50 mix of acetone and atf, choose your poison.

Let it sit for a few days

I would then install a battery, I would first remove the coil wire, I would not want it to start!

I would want to spin the motor over, watch the oil pressure gauge,  and when it is building oil pressure I would be ok to start it.

While you are spinning the motor over building oil pressure, now would be a good time to pull the spark plugs and run a compression test.

This will tell you f you have any sticky rings or valves, and tell you if the engine will run.

If you have already added oil to it, you may just skip to the compression test or skip the test, build oil pressure then let it have spark and fire it up.

Then if it does not start, go back to compression test and spark.

Very least build oil pressure first before trying to start it.

I think you said in another post, the car has been sitting for 7 years. I am afraid that if you put a battery and gas to it, it will start almost instantly, I would want to keep it from starting to lubricate the system.

I would add to the last post - before attempting to start, remove the spark plugs and then turn the engine over to get rid of any excess oil remaining in the cylinders,otherwise the engine may hydrolock.

Edited by T120
spelling?
  • Like 3

If you just put some oil into the cyinders, it'sbasically going to sit there on the tops of the pistonsYS. You

might try cranking the engine with the plugs out to distribute a bit up and down the cylinders.  If you use atf acetone mix remember to change the oil.  Oh and start outside as it's going to smoke quite a bit for quite a while.

I have a fairly standard list I go through if I have an engine that has not been started in a long time.

1. drain and flush the gas tank and gas lines.

2. drain any water out of engine and radiator.

3. pull oil pan. clean out good.

4. while pan is out, check observable cylinder walls for surface rust. If any, use fine scotch bright pad with ATF to remove so rings do not get hurt on first movement.

5. soak piston tops with ATF and Acetone.  Let it drip into a drain pan while oil pan is off.
*** if the engine has sat a very long time, I pull the head to check for surface rust on top of cylinder walls and clean with Scotch bright and ATF.

6. Turn engine over by hand and wipe all AFT off and wipe cylinders down with 10w oil. Put head back on if taken off.

7. fill engine and radiator with water and add a bottle of ceramic seal.

8. put oil pan back on and fill with new 10W oil.

9. turn over without coil and generate oil pressure.

10. Add new fuel with some MMO.

11. Start engine.

12. bring to operating temperature, shut down and drain 10w and add new 30W oil.