transmission swap

Darrell

I haven't started looking into it, but I want to do similar with my 1-1/2T. I'm wondering if I can somehow adapt something like a ZF5 or NV4500 to it. Not really designed for that heavy of a truck, but used in modern pickups for the type of loads that would be used on a vintage truck like these. Probably not easy, but doable.

Another issue that always needs to be brought up... parking brake..... and axle swap is the best way to solve that, but might not be ideal for a heavy truck.

Good topic so I'll give it a bump for the Sunday crowd.

Adapting a late model trans is doable but, generally,  the old bell is removed and you'll be adapting at the back of the block. 

Obviously, anything attached to the bell would then require some fussin'.

• Like 1

Yup it is basically make an adapter plate that make your bolt ups dead on concentric then possibly an extension for your input shaft nose to pilot bearing and possibly an adapter or spacing or re-drill of  the flywheel. 

You can make anything work it’s just a question of precision measuring drilling and machining.

I know there are some adapters for our flatties my buddy did a T5 out of an s-10 on mine when he owned it with mail order parts and a custom input shaft extension.

Edited by Radarsonwheels