1952 B-108 Floor Mat

Awca12a

The floor mat in my 1952 B3B is completely shot and before I went about trying to make a new one, I looked around to see what might be available online.  The few people selling ones don't have photos given the lack of demand and I understand that this year range (1950-1953) had a complicated floor pattern.  Can anyone upload a photo of their original floor mat so I can appreciate what it should look like? 

Thanks in advance.

I don't really know for certain but it sure looks like shredded string.  At first I was thinking horse hair but after looking closer it sure looks like string remnants.  

Whatever it is I'm sure it was in common use back in the day so maybe some might have the answer.

Brad

20191014_194326x.jpg.67d52b42e9cca23cc8782e4043ce0fc8.jpg20191014_194331x.jpg.4b039f81f18daa7727d5620441fb590e.jpg20191014_194233x.jpg.f88aa08426226197c705f6be5167849e.jpg20191014_194340x.jpg.277475e586a920409b5fd8a5b68f0c46.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, Jute.

jute
[jo͞ot]
NOUN
  1. rough fiber made from the stems of a tropical Old World plant, used for making twine and rope or woven into sacking or matting.
  2. the herbaceous plant which is cultivated for jute fiber, with edible young shoots.

That NOS floor mat should be offered as a pattern to make correct pattern replacement floor mats for those looking for a nice fitting mat.

None have been available.since the late 70's.

9 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

That NOS floor mat should be offered as a pattern to make correct pattern replacement floor mats for those looking for a nice fitting mat.

be interesting to see how it would pattern compared to the template I made off FEF's mat (where I had to make a few educated guesses).

11 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

2 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

be interesting to see how it would pattern compared to the template I made off FEF's mat (where I had to make a few educated guesses).

I would be more than happy to trace the mat and all of it's openings, etc on a large sheet of Kraft paper for those interested. 

Back when I was looking (late 90s?) for a replacement mat the only products I could find weren't even close to what the original was like.   I'll have to look for the receipt but I think I bought it from a place with Mitchell or something like that in the name.  I probably found the name in Hemmings and they listed lots of NOS dodge parts.  I'll see if I can find the receipt this evening.

Brad

I found a local copy & print shop that was able to scan a large 2-sided vintage Dodge truck brochure, not quite an E size, and copy a jpg to a thumb drive I supplied...I tried to put this on my photobucket but connectivity issues + large data files made uploading difficult, then *POOF* it disappeared 3 times, along with several other folders, something the photobucket ppl said would never happen, but that's another story :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, bkahler said:

I would be more than happy to trace the mat and all of it's openings, etc on a large sheet of Kraft paper for those interested. 

Back when I was looking (late 90s?) for a replacement mat the only products I could find weren't even close to what the original was like.   I'll have to look for the receipt but I think I bought it from a place with Mitchell or something like that in the name.  I probably found the name in Hemmings and they listed lots of NOS dodge parts.  I'll see if I can find the receipt this evening.

Brad

Possibly you got the mat from Mitchell Motor Parts...now AMS.

Original owner Frank Mitchell now deceased.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkahler said:

Brad

I actually made a large plastic cut out to be able to trace for people.  Drop me a trace of yours and I can update that or make a new one if you don't want to deal with it.   Curious how close I am.  Basically the same as I put in FEF and it worked out pretty good.

4 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

I actually made a large plastic cut out to be able to trace for people.  Drop me a trace of yours and I can update that or make a new one if you don't want to deal with it.   Curious how close I am.  Basically the same as I put in FEF and it worked out pretty good.

I'll try and get a trace in the next week or two.  Lot's going on right now but I should have time in early November.  In the meantime I'm going to lay some objects on the mat to try and get the wrinkles out of it.

Brad

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bkahler said:

I'll try and get a trace in the next week or two.  Lot's going on right now but I should have time in early November.  In the meantime I'm going to lay some objects on the mat to try and get the wrinkles out of it.

Brad

cool.  I'm SO jealous of you.  I had located a person who knew where a set of original molders were a few years back.  But never got through to the point of seeing if they could be run.

Mitchell was and AMS still is high priced.

If you want clean nice NOS ya gotta pay the price. I do.

39 minutes ago, bkahler said:

I finally found my receipt and yes it was Frank Mitchell.  I paid $189.50 in December of 98.  Price seemed high at the time but I couldn't pass it up!  Now it seems like a bargain......

I woulda paid that in a heartbeat...considering what I've paid for some items...not at all out of the realm, even with inflation accounted for.

I had to pay an outrageous high price of $10.00 for a rear main seal to Frank for a rear main seal for my Chrysler straight eight in 1975.

I couldn't find one anywhere after advertising in Hemmings for month's and many more letters sent all over the US.

I asked him if he could maybe drop the cost...?.....but it was a no go. He knew his parts.

I've been buying NOS MoPar for years and hate cheap after market repro crap and China crap and... well now days I just pay the price with in reason for correct nice clean quality parts.

I want to do the job one time, quickly fits right works right and lasts hopefully for years.

I'll pay higher prices for the good stuff from good vendors?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
Spell check

what I find disturbing and seems to be getting worse is the so called licensed repop parts that are being supplied these days that never will bolt into place without lots of customer intervention....I thought the high cost of the license to make these were there for compliance to original shape size and material composition...seems is just a money maker for the mother company without verification of the part and process...

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Mitchell was and AMS still is high priced.

If you want clean nice NOS ya gotta pay the price. I do.

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

do I hear..….PAY TO PLAY...…??   this is sad but true and it pertains to any hobby one has.....why I quit firing my 40MM Howitzer ...lol

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

I woulda paid that in a heartbeat...considering what I've paid for some items...not at all out of the realm, even with inflation accounted for.

1 hour ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

I had to pay an outrageous high price of $10.00 for a rear mail seal to Frank for a rear main seal for my Chrysler straight eight in 1975.

I couldn't find one anywhere after advertising in Hemmings for month's and many more letters sent all over the US.

I asked him if he could maybe drop the cost...?.....but it was a no go. He knew his parts.

I've been buying NOS MoPar for years and hate cheap after market repro crap and China crap and... well now days I just pay the price with in reason for correct nice clean quality parts.

I want to do the job one time, quickly fits right works right and lasts hopefully for years.

I'll pay higher prices for the good stuff from good vendors?

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

what I find disturbing and seems to be getting worse is the so called licensed repop parts that are being supplied these days that never will bolt into place without lots of customer intervention....I thought the high cost of the license to make these were there for compliance to original shape size and material composition...seems is just a money maker for the mother company without verification of the part and process...

At the time I was looking to buy the floor mat I was deep in the middle of a complete house remodel.  It was kinda hard to justify the price BUT I also knew the odds of finding another one were slim and none.    What prompted the search for a mat was I had bought a "repro" on ebay about two months prior and it wasn't worth putting in the truck.  So not only had I just spent $67 I was now having to spend an additional $189.50 for a proper mat.  Still worth it however.  

I'm in total agreement about using NOS parts versus repops.  There's usually a night and day difference between the two.

Brad

• Like 1

In the late 80's I bought five (5)  DT 1948-53 NORS floor mats for $29.95 each from JC Whitney.

Great quality a design and fit. A great $ deal and still have two left for my trucks when I get old.

Another friend bought at least 5 more himself to resale back then. Then JC had no more a month later.....I would have bought some more too as I had been always looking for mats for my trucks for a long time.

JC Whitney NORS Floor Mat (1).JPG

JC Whitney NORS Floor Mat (2).JPG

NOSR 1948-53 DT Floor Mats (3).JPG

NOSR 1948-53 DT Floor Mats (4).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

In the late 80's I bought five (5)  DT 1948-53 NORS floor mats for $29.95 each from JC Whitney.

Great quality a design and fit. A great $ deal and still have two left for my trucks when I get old.

Another friend bought at least 5 more himself to resale back then. Then JC had no more a month later.....I would have bought some more too as I had been always looking for mats for my trucks for a long time.

JC Whitney NORS Floor Mat (1).JPG

JC Whitney NORS Floor Mat (2).JPG

NOSR 1948-53 DT Floor Mats (3).JPG

NOSR 1948-53 DT Floor Mats (4).JPG

That's a great looking mat!  

Definitely a smart move to buy that many when you had the opportunity.