First Start-up Gas Can Safety

Bingster

Okay, I believe that I've got everything ready on the flathead of my 1947 De Soto to start it after seven years. It started right up back then. It has an aftermarket fuel pump with no glass bowl.  If I connect a line from a temp gas tank directly to the intake on the pump, shouldn't that work if the pump's okay?

The other option is to connect the same line to the carb intake instead?

Which would be preferable? And more importantly, which would be safer? After hearing some horror stories on here about temp gas tanks or lines leaking and catching people on fire, I'm a little anxious about it.

Either would work, using the pump will tell you if it is still working.

If it is no longer working, then can go straight to the carb and gravity feed it ... the tank now has to be higher then the carb.

The main thing is to be safe and not get in a hurry, make sure all your connections are secure and leak proof, make sure the tank will not fall over etc.

Sometimes we do something a hundred times safe, then get careless and in a hurry, thats when accidents happen.

• Like 1

Use the minimum amount of gas you need to run the engine briefly. That way if an accident occurs and flames erupt, you have little fuel to burn. Get a fire extinguisher and have it nearby. Always a good idea. Then later mount it in the trunk of the old Desoto.