52 Plymouth Concord Rat Rod

James.awning

Hello all,

I'm a new owner of a 52 Plymouth Concord Fastback. I've done research and tried seeing if this is done before and haven't had much luck. Given that the concord fastback was only made 2 years parts aren't the easiest to find at all. So I wanted to see if anyone here has done any chassis swaps on here or any other types of builds other than the standard restoration. I'm thinking of turning it into a rat rod cause I haven' seen one down yet. Any advice or guidance is much appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 1

Have you discovered a problem with the stock frame?  Is there a weakness or damage you feel needs to be addressed? What parts are you having problems finding? Is there a bigger better frame that works without completely reconfiguring body mounts sheet metal supports, proper bumpers?  

• Like 1

That could make a nice car no matter which way you go with it. I prefer fairly stock vehicles but I can understand the desire to do something different, too. A frame swap is a HUGE undertaking but there have been lots of them done successfully.  I'd think one of the early Dakota's would be a good choice for a donor. You'd have to carefully measure wheelbase and track width and the body mounting would all be up to you, not to mention mounting bumpers, fuel tank, and a zillion other minor inconveniences. 

Good luck with your car no matter what you decide to do!! And please let us see some pics!!

edit to add

See? That's how to be helpful to people who ask questions in good faith. And yeah, I hate laugh tracks, too.

Edited by MackTheFinger

Like Frank said above, You have ifs & a pretty strong frame on these cars.

Also pretty roomy under the hood compared to  a '30's vintage car. I've posted on

here before that I have put a small block hemi in a p-15. Put what was then easy to find

"taxi cab springs" in it to get it back off the ground. Whatever engine you're using

is going to be easier than a complete frame swap.

Your car though. Just have fun with it however you do it.