Marker Light Sheetmetal Damage - (on a 1951 B3B)

A previous owner hacked up the sheetmetal behind both of my marker lights. Why? Who knows? As a result, I have no idea how the sheetmetal should be behind the marker lights or how the marker light wiring and sockets should project through the sheet metal. Also, did Dodge use a grommet to seal out water where the wiring comes through the sheetmetal? Can someone with a 51 - 53 Pilothouse post a good photo of the sheetmetal behind the markers?

Once I know how it should look, I'll weld up the hole damage, figure out how the wiring goes through, drill a new right-sizedhole for the wires/sockets, and then repaint the damaged areas. I should have just fixed it from the get-go.

Driver Side From Front of Grill...                                                                                             Driver Side From Back of Grill...

20191013_111439_resized.jpg.7fe9913e91b0489b29922f0d01e023ba.jpg   20191013_111634_resized.jpg.58ba7e7b152cfdb18e3ab6ce61ce85ee.jpg

Passenger Side From Back of Grill With Marker Light Installed...

20191013_112010_resized.jpg.2daca767562acf7a0110f84e6ef365e3.jpg   20191013_112005_resized.jpg.cecbd2b78de2bbd11de5d596b8f2dc0f.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

As Nifty said, just a hole in the "center" to have the wires come out.  My guess is they used a different light and they wacked those areas out to get it to fit.

• Thanks 1

No grommet was used for the wires...my 2 cents, if this extra ventilation opening is covered after final assembly, I wouldn't lose any sleep over that imperfection, cuz life is too short to try to fix all of the imperfections in the world  :cool:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JBNeal said:

No grommet was used for the wires...my 2 cents, if this extra ventilation opening is covered after final assembly, I wouldn't lose any sleep over that imperfection, cuz life is too short to try to fix all of the imperfections in the world  :cool:

agreed it looks like the panel is already painted and the holes won't hurt anything. You can fix them next repaint :)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Los_Control said:

My 2 cents, with all the damage. Now would be a good time to search for a 1948-1950 complete nose and install it  :D

.....but its a B3/4....

45 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

....but its a B3/4....

It is not the trucks fault it was born later and ugly.

Seriously just joking, there will always be some rivalry between the B 1-2, & B 3-4 owners.

As others stated above, at this stage is not worth fixing, will cause no harm and think it may be hidden from any view when assembled.

• Haha 1

while not a B3/4 my current project I just uncovered a nasty array of jury rigging and selection of some of the worst choice of hardware ever to assemble a light fixture on a vehicle.  So...yeah....the POs will get you in the long run....I have never ever been able to figure out the why and wherefore of so many things done wrong on car/trucks except to say that they deem it not worth the time and trouble to do things correct and proper.  Found two welds holding on a fender that calls for NO welds also.  I cannot figure out why on the welds either...I am not sure if these repairs were made stateside or when the vehicle was in New Zealand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thing that started bugging me about the hacked out metal was the question of water getting into the marker lights. But if there was a 1 inch open hole from the factory anyway, I might just live with it. Then again, knowing me, maybe not. Shoulda fixed it right away.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:18 PM, Jocko_51_B3B said:

The thing that started bugging me about the hacked out metal was the question of water getting into the marker lights. But if there was a 1 inch open hole from the factory anyway, I might just live with it. Then again, knowing me, maybe not. Shoulda fixed it right away.

i feel your pain Glenn..... 

Edited by Brent B3B
spelling- thanks again "auto correct"!, photo's removed
  • Thanks 2

On 10/14/2019 at 2:09 PM, Los_Control said:

It is not the trucks fault it was born later and ugly.

Seriously just joking, there will always be some rivalry between the B 1-2, & B 3-4 owners.

As others stated above, at this stage is not worth fixing, will cause no harm and think it may be hidden from any view when assembled.

i know of several B1/2 owners that also own B3/4's

hmmmm, i suspect someone is trying to start some sort of rivalry ?

B1/2 trucks.....the  flat nose series...

I decided to move into the B3/4 trucks as I couldn't stand all the attention my 48 flat nose was getting.......that from the dogs peeing on it's tires.?

They never bothered the B3's..

Oh a pic of the park lamp cable into the housing...

DT Park lamp Housing Backside (10).JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

i know of several B1/2 owners that also own B3/4's

hmmmm, i suspect someone is trying to start some sort of rivalry ?

There is no rivalry, we all know the B3 is the superior design.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

We know NOTHING of the sort.

48-50Dodger!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ggdad1951 said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ah ah...is this a bald person responding...….?   I do have a general question....if you have been combing your hair since as a child in the same style...does it become a comb over just because you start losing hair...…???

2 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

Everyone knows they finally got it right with the B4 and the superior rear fender design!

• Confused 1

The re-designed dash and the "Job Rated" medallion in the grill clearly favor the '51 B3 over all the other Pilothouse models because it was first to implement these tremendously artistic improvements! I've heard they even make the engine run a little smoother and use less gas too!

• Haha 1

Glenn, dodgeb4ya's photo makes me think if you don't end up fixing the hole size, you might either cover it some how or check behind the marker housing periodically for debris build up.

even with the hole the correct size, I am always surprised how much debris finds its way back there....

4 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Everyone knows they finally got it right with the B4 and the superior rear fender design!

you mean the ugly "square" version where they slapped it on over the sheet metal bed sides they did not change...  :D

Brent,

Thanks. That's good to know. That's why I was thinking about a grommet or a plug of some kind to help seal the hole. You must have had an old beat up grill to get the patch you used. Looks like that worked pretty well. Unfortunately I don't have an extra grill but it shouldn't be too hard to patch the "dish".

Glenn