230 "Power Pack" kit from 1956

Loren

I've been reading one of the history books and there is a mention of a "Power Pack'" kit that MoPar sold for the 1956 Plymouth PowerFlow 6. (apparently Dodge installed these at the factory for their cars....)

The book said it had a Stromberg dual throat carburetor and it raised the output to 131 hp!

My question which the book didn't elaborate on is which Stromberg carburetor?

My all time favorite is called a Bendix-Stromberg WW. They were used on lots of V8s including Dodge and Studebaker.

I had lots of success adapting them to SAAB 96 V4 engines and even set a Dry Lakes speed record with one.

I have a project I am working on which I'd like to keep "period correct" and the WW would fit my "skill set" and parts bin nicely.

Yep they did make that set up... not common though...

Here are a couple pics....Young Ed has one ....

2 BBL Ply Dodge Intake Stromberg carb.jpg

2 BBL Intake 218 230 (1).JPG

2 BBL Intake 218 230 (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can get the carb # for you tomorrow. Done

Number 3-126 Stromberg.

These WW's were used 1956 thru 1958 Plymouth and Dodge...

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 1

I was looking for that set up a couple of years ago. Even posted in parts wanted but no response. Guess people are holding on to them. I had that manifold on a 48 Dodge in the 70's but it didn't come with a carb. A 2bbl Rochester from a 60's - early 70's GM bolted up to it.

• Like 1

As far as I know Carter BBD and Stromberg WW's had the same bolt patterns, if thats any help.....the Carter BBD was the standard 2 barrel carb on the small V8's such as the 273 & 318's..here in Oz the WW Stromberg was used extensively on GM's Holden 186/202 cube six and 253 V8's in the 60's & 70's.....from John Lees Standard catalog of Chrysler Plymouth had 140hp in the 1957-59 cars using the 2 barrel carby.........andyd 

That sure looks like a Bendix-Stromberg WW.

The diagonal accelerator pump link is what I look for first.

One of those served a 107cid 7,000+rpm 4 cylinder just fine.

I was thinking two might work as well on a 265cid 4,000+rpm 6 cylinder.

They use the same jets as a 97 but are much shorter and seem to be very versatile. 

The carburetor guy who introduced me to them even put one on a 450SL which everyone claimed ran better than its original fuel injection!

Since they put a lot of them on MoPar cars, some have the provision for the Overdrive kick-down switch I need.

Now which way to mount them? Barrels in line or crossways?

That's what I would think too.

On the SAAB V4 the WW worked very well with the bowl on the side (one barrel ahead of the other). I did it that way because the stock linkage could be used and the carburetor didn't seem to care. The factory two barrels sat crosswise diagonal to the center of the engine with the float bowl forward (the sister engine Ford V6 as used in the Mercury Capri had the same goofy set up) and you could never get a smooth reliable throttle action in the SAAB.

Float bowl forward would cause the three ports to get a fairly even mixture. Float bowl to the side would have the mixture drawing from the closest barrel. The main reason to go bowl forward is fuel starvation under acceleration. I had that problem with Webers but never with the WW. (another reason it was my favorite)

In another post there is a discussion of a Thickstun manifold with 2 singles.

Googling Thickstun brought up a photo of a Manifold he made for an 8 cylinder Chrysler flathead. This had 97s as I recall with float bowl forward.

I think I'll have another look at that. 

Here's one I have on my 42 Dodge Business Coupe.  I didn't find a proper 2 bbl carb soon enough so I got a 1 to 2 bbl adapter and installed it upside down so I could drive the car

until I found a good 2 bbl carb.  Well......that was years ago and it's still like this.  Runs great !!!

J.Lows 2 bbl intake..jpg

• Like 1

I have one on my 35 Plymouth's 217 (51).    Works very well except for trouble with automatic choke.  Originally from a 56 Dodge 230.

Edited by dpollo
spelling

Perhaps, thecarburatorshop.com, in Elton, Missouri, can help you Loren, with this query. I have no experience with the shop, but saved the link, for past and future endeavors. 

47 minutes ago, falconvan said:

Very cool; gives me ideas of adapting a GM TBI injection.

I haven't heard from him in years but there was a guy that did that to his 40s dodge truck. He said it worked great. 

• Like 1

TBI is great if you don't have a lot of underwood space, because it fits in the space of a carburetor.

My all time favorite injection is Bosch CIS. It's considered obsolete now days but boy did it work good!

Extremely easy to fix when something went wrong and it was easy to modify.

It was mostly hydraulic with a temp sensor (aka warm up regulator)  that regulated control pressure, a cold start valve and a fast idle device.

The airflow sensor was a flap in a Venturi. Bog simple but took up a lot of space.

Three basic spare parts and you're ready for the apocalypse.

1) Fuel pump

2) Fuel filter

3) Warm up regulator

A customer drove a 1978 SAAB 99 80,000 miles without a service (he just changed oil) before it stopped running and had to be towed.

We did the 80,000 mile service and it ran like a top!

• Like 1

Most likely no.

So this set up took hp from 125 to 132 according to spec charts.  Wonder if there was a different cam to go along or if it was just the carb and manifold?  Exhaust was still 2 inch single pipe.  Within a couple years, Dodge was rated at 132/135 but back to a 1bbl.  Those specs say compression ratio went from 7.7 to 8.2 but again one wonders about the cam grind.  It would be nice to see the engineering charts that accompanied the changes through the years.  The spec sheets show compression ratio increases, and a look at distributors show steeper sooner advance curves, but what else took 230 from 101 HP to 135 HP over the years.