New dash light bulbs---Bright!

Sam Buchanan

The engine instruments in my P15 have been fairly well lit but the speedo was extremely dark. The wiring diagram in the service manual shows a "speedometer light" but the only dash lights (beside key and high-beam lights) in my car are two bulbs located near the engine gauges. I checked and someone had already installed #63 bulbs which are brighter than the #51 bulbs normally installed.

The following post from a thread last year got my attention:

http://p15-d24.com/topic/47422-bright-dash-lights/?tab=comments#comment-503267

This poster found some specialty 6v bulbs that were designed for use in microscopes. They are 7 candle-power instead of the 63"s 3 candle-power. I decided to try them and the results are impressive. Not only is the speedo very visible but I actually found  the feature where the speedo numbers change colors!

dash-lights-1.jpg.564587030d286f6894ae93bda7c8cd7f.jpg

Please excuse the blurry photo made while underway:

dash-lights-2.jpg.dc3ffb87a8cb2bf39f76199cad0f1655.jpg

Here is where I bought the bulbs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-1946-1947-1948-extra-bright-tail-light-bulb-63-replacement-6-volt-63/161410757417?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I really like 'em!   :)

In case someone asks....I've already hot-wired the dash light switch located at the bottom of the dash....the bulbs are getting full voltage.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 2

Hi Sam 

I was under the dash trying to locate the dash light bulb as mine is also dim .Be damed if I could locate it .

I am sure its accessible without too much trouble  any help would be appreciated .

My car is a D 25 same dash as aP15.

Edited by Cannuck
Forgot to mention make.

10 minutes ago, Cannuck said:

Hi Sam 

I was under the dash trying to locate the dash light bulb as mine is also dim .Be damed if I could locate it .

I am sure its accessible without too much trouble  any help would be appreciated .

My car is a D 25 same dash as aP15.

Two bulbs, one on each side of the speedometer.

Thanks Sam, I've bought some B1006 6V, from that store. The bulb is a small 1154 basically, and I used them to convert my cowl lights to park/turn signals on a 47 Dodge truck. The box of ten, with a continuity test, had 4 bad bulb's. I contacted him and he replied shortly, that he would send another box that he had tested.   100% feedback.