Dash brace?

Fiddy B2C
Go to solution Solved by Los_Control,

Hello everyone.  It’s been a while since I’ve been on...  I recently got a nice Mopar radio, and I’m trying to figure out how to install it in my ‘50 B2C. Apparently there is supposed to be a “dash brace” that runs from the front of the dash, near the steering column, back to the fire wall?  Is this true?  If so, I guess the PO didn’t feel it was necessary.  I’m trying to get some pictures of this brace because it isn’t listed in any parts books I’ve seen. Thanks.

Edited by moderator to remove request for parts on open forum.

If your radio is the vertical dial 602 or 802 .  Look at this radio on ebay.  It has the mounting bracket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Untested-Vintage-MOPAR-Car-Radio-Antique-1940s-Philco-Model-802-Untested-Restore/333165911202?hash=item4d923c5ca2:g:BWkAAOSwN~ZbnU9z

4 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

If your radio is the vertical dial 602 or 802 .  Look at this radio on ebay.  It has the mounting bracket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Untested-Vintage-MOPAR-Car-Radio-Antique-1940s-Philco-Model-802-Untested-Restore/333165911202?hash=item4d923c5ca2:g:BWkAAOSwN~ZbnU9z

I have the small bracket but need the dash to firewall bracket.  Ant idea where I can find one of these?

The bracket on that radio on eBay is not the correct bracket to mount the radio in a truck. The truck bracket went from the stud on the back of the radio to a bolt through the firewall behind and slightly above the radio. At least that is what my research seemed do show. 

• Solution
25 minutes ago, David A. said:

The bracket on that radio on eBay is not the correct bracket to mount the radio in a truck. The truck bracket went from the stud on the back of the radio to a bolt through the firewall behind and slightly above the radio. At least that is what my research seemed do show. 

This makes sense to me.

I bought the same radio with same bracket. In my truck there is nothing close enough to mount the bracket to.

I believe I will need to make a bracket to mount it to the firewall.

Possibly this is why the poster brought up the steering column bracket, thinking the radio would mount to it.

Just did a quick trial fit, that bracket as is, is worthless to mount the radio in the truck.

Should be simple enough to fabricate one though. Is a tight fit to get the radio in there.

I took a look at the money pit and noticed the '48, '49 and '50 cabs have a firewall hole for bracing the radio, whereas the '51, '52 and '53 do not...the '49 has a 802 radio installed, tho there must have been a problem with the installation, evidenced by the witness marks on the firewall inside the engine compartment where the bracket bolt was originally installed...it was then flipped down and another hole was added to the firewall for the final installation...

20191014_184422note.jpg.a8a8e60964f37964423359d0893fdddf.jpg

(not sure why this attachment keeps falling over after 3 tries...??)

the original firewall pad was not cut for radio installation for whatever reason, and from trying to get these pics, it was not easy to access under the dash...I'm gonna guess the installer had trouble lining up the bracket with the back of the radio, so he just made it work...

20191014_184317.jpg.006475a3c40d3f7bd9940572b1661345.jpg

• Like 1