1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe P-15

EthanCole

Hello all!

I'm new to the Mopar world and I've been having some confusion about getting spares for my car.  I have a 1949 Plymouth; which by most online resources is a P-18.  However, I have the original bill of sale and it's described as an early 49 with a vin starting with P15 (also matches the title and vin on the car)

My question is, do I buy parts for a 48 P-15 to fit my 49?  

Thanks in advance!

64625886_10219111552129069_2226447420600877056_n.jpg

Edited by EthanCole
  • Like 2

Apparently there were "leftover" 1948 P15 series Plymouths sold into 1949 as First Series 1949 Model cars...........and so are titled or whatever as 1949 cars, yet everything on them is 1946 to 1948 P15 stuff......well pretty much everything.........here in Australia they would have been sold as P15 series cars irrespective whether they were sold in 1948, 1949 or even 1950.....but as far as most guys on this forum would be concerned they are a P15.........BTW, welcome aboard from Oz..........andyd

What is the serial number?  There is another forum member who has a first series 49 that was built right near the end of production in March of 49.  Be neat to see which is later in the line.  I have a 46 that was built in early October 46 at the start up of production after the war.  We have an idea that my car and his car bookend the full run of p15s

14 minutes ago, John Reddie said:

Hello and welcome. The coupe looks nice with plenty of potential?. How are the floors, rocker panels and trunk floor? Does the car run and drive? Keep us updated on your progress and thanks for posting.

John R

Rocker panels have a little bit of rust, but floors and trunk are solid.  Car runs and drives great! Everything is 100% original

1 hour ago, greg g said:

What is the serial number?  There is another forum member who has a first series 49 that was built right near the end of production in March of 49.  Be neat to see which is later in the line.  I have a 46 that was built in early October 46 at the start up of production after the war.  We have an idea that my car and his car bookend the full run of p15s

P15991375

Edited by EthanCole

good looking car. These cars were titled by the engine number.

If you go to this site and look up your engine #, the p15 shows a engine from 1946-1948.

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/pengines.html

So a early 1949 has last years 1948 engine.This was really common to use up the current inventory before going to next model.

I guess this is part of the challenge of old cars, you may need to learn the differences between a 1948 and a 1949, to know what else besides last years engine you have  :D

I have a 1949 truck, it was a late 49 and equipped with 1950 upgrades. Most obvious is the shifter moved to column and E brake moved to the dash board.

Welcome to the mopar world  :)

9 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

good looking car. These cars were titled by the engine number.

If you go to this site and look up your engine #, the p15 shows a engine from 1946-1948.

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/pengines.html

So a early 1949 has last years 1948 engine.This was really common to use up the current inventory before going to next model.

I guess this is part of the challenge of old cars, you may need to learn the differences between a 1948 and a 1949, to know what else besides last years engine you have  :D

I have a 1949 truck, it was a late 49 and equipped with 1950 upgrades. Most obvious is the shifter moved to column and E brake moved to the dash board.

Welcome to the mopar world  :)

That site also doesn't list the early 49s. The p15 series was built into 49. 

Hi,

your car is very nice!  I have a true 1949 P18 2 door.  I have been told that the true 1949 were shipped with the triple ripple bumper front and back.  Mine does have the triples.  I believe that there were a host of changes but many were not very important.

welcome to the P15-D24 site and enjoy your car.

James Fuller

James..........my understanding is that the triple ribbed bumpers that were prized by 50's customizers were only fitted to 1949/P18 series Plymouths.......the P15 and P18 cars are completely different, as far as I am aware no body panels and sheetmetal parts interchange, likewise chassis' are different......some suspension parts did carry thru or at least will swap but not much........andyd   

I have the complete front suspension out of a 53 Cranbrook under my 49 P15.  Identical as far as I could see.  (Well, for sure I used the uprights/spindles, and I'm fairly certain I used the upper & lower control arms as well, but not so sure about that.  The spindles had long before been torched off on the 49 when I bought it in 81 - probably to build a small trailer.)

I attempted to use the rearend as well, but the points at which the saddles are welded on are wider on the 53 (as I recall.  This was all over 35 years ago).