1941 Desoto Tire Size S8 6.25x16?

Tim Larson

Good Morning,

I'm looking at a '41 Desoto and one of the things I know it needs is new tires. If I get the car it would have regular radials put on it for the time being - I don't have funds for coker or diamondbacks right now. 

My main question is what the best modern size radial would be. The car originally have 6.25x16 tires, but even that size is obsolete. 

If anyone has input or experience I would appreciate it!

The car is at a dealership and I would use the amount that tires would cost to negotiate price. 

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Sam Buchanan said:

The Search function of the forum is your friend.  :)

Here is a recent thread:

http://p15-d24.com/topic/50931-1949-special-deluxe-radial-tires/?tab=comments#comment-540574

Thank you. As you might notice that thread was also created by me. What I appreciated the most was hearing from others as to what they have used on their specific car. 

6.50 16 is a good replacement size    try Jim Benjaminson in N. Dakota, he advertises in the Plymouth Bulletin

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tjlarson88 said:

Thank you. As you might notice that thread was also created by me. What I appreciated the most was hearing from others as to what they have used on their specific car. 

Yes, my apologies for referencing your thread...I noticed that after I posted.......

• Like 1

In a radial size you'd find a 185x16 would be closest, or maybe 195x16 may fit...........bolt pattern is the same as full size mopar or even a Frod wheel tho' if the car has the original rims it should still have a locating lug which will restrict the use of other rims and also should, as far as I know have screw into the brake drum left and right hand threaded bolts which may or may not restrict wheel swapping.......1941 DeSoto's could be had with either 6.25 or 6.50 x 16 tyres, rims would have been 4" wide........andyd

• Thanks 1