Need a carburetor

JamesF
Go to solution Solved by Sniper,

Hi all,

I’m looking for a replacement carb for my 218 IL 6 Plymouth engine.  What’s there is a Carter Ball and Ball that is worn out to the point that a new rebuild kit still won’t stop the leaks.  I’d be open to a good rebuilt or even a new one if I must.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

James Fuller

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JamesF said:

Hi all,

I’m looking for a replacement carb for my 218 IL 6 Plymouth engine.  What’s there is a Carter Ball and Ball that is worn out to the point that a new rebuild kit still won’t stop the leaks.  I’d be open to a good rebuilt or even a new one if I must.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

James Fuller

Take a look at this:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1124845&jsn=3

c522_s__ra_p.jpg

4 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

So is the YF carter carb a direct bolt on for the intake manifold on a 218? What about the linkage, fabricate or?  And choke hook up?  Looks interesting. 

text deleted

Edited by Sam Buchanan
responded to wrong post...past my bed-time....

5 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

So is the YF carter carb a direct bolt on for the intake manifold on a 218? What about the linkage, fabricate or?  And choke hook up?  Looks interesting. 

The only modifications I needed to make was elongate the holes in the gasket. For the linkage, I elected to grind off the ball fitting on the yf carb and open up the hole to bolt the dodge fitting to the yf carb. That's not necessarily, I found a quick release type ball fitting with the correct threads that would screw onto the factory linkage.

As far as the choke, it has a automatic choke. There is a fitting on the choke housing to pull heated air across the choke spring. I used a brake line routed down around the exhaust. Actually, some previous owner put a small heat shield on the exhaust. 

20190422_160032-1328x747.jpg

20190422_160043-1328x747.jpg

20190529_184005-747x1328.jpg

• Like 3

I wonder if an electric choke conversion would be simpler?  My 51 uses a bimetallic spring with an electric assist.  Not real clear on how the electrical part works though, it is wired to the stud on the starter, according to the FSM that is correct, and that point only gets juice when starting the engine.

Maybe  a manual choke conversion if the one is still available would be good.  Thanks for the very good information I'm going to look into it   Thinking further, are the bores on the carbs the same or similar?  And did you have to do anything to the jets?  I was wondering if it might be overjetted. 

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

Anyone tried one of those new reproduction universal 1 bbl carbs?  I think they are made off-shore (Brazil?) and marketed under the "Daytona" name among others.  I have seen one that looks like a Holley 1904 and another that seems to be a Zenith style.  They  both have an externally adjustable main jet which is sort of a nice feature.

On 10/8/2019 at 7:22 AM, plymouthcranbrook said:

Maybe  a manual choke conversion if the one is still available would be good.  Thanks for the very good information I'm going to look into it   Thinking further, are the bores on the carbs the same or similar?  And did you have to do anything to the jets?  I was wondering if it might be overjetted. 

I didn't even have to adjust the idle on the one I bought. Probably could use a little tuning but it runs great, idle great and the plugs look good. I don't remember on the bores

4 hours ago, Bbdakota said:

I didn't even have to adjust the idle on the one I bought. Probably could use a little tuning but it runs great, idle great and the plugs look good. I don't remember on the bores

Thanks for the reply.  Good information

On 10/8/2019 at 5:03 AM, Sniper said:

I wonder if an electric choke conversion would be simpler?  My 51 uses a bimetallic spring with an electric assist.  Not real clear on how the electrical part works though, it is wired to the stud on the starter, according to the FSM that is correct, and that point only gets juice when starting the engine.

It it my understanding that the original Sisson automatic choke had a solenoid, energized when starting the car, to pull the choke into the closed position. Then heat would open it up as the car warmed up. My Plymouth is too old to have an automatic choke (first used on the DeLuxe 1934 Plymouth), so my understanding is mostly from reading.

18 hours ago, TodFitch said:

It it my understanding that the original Sisson automatic choke had a solenoid, energized when starting the car, to pull the choke into the closed position. Then heat would open it up as the car warmed up. My Plymouth is too old to have an automatic choke (first used on the DeLuxe 1934 Plymouth), so my understanding is mostly from reading. 

That is correct

How about a changeover for that new YF type carb to a electric choke?

Carb at $60+ and new choke at $30, still under a Hundred bill, not too bad!

Choke changeover is priced about 1/2-2/3 cost of the carb but not terrible

Those adjustable main jet carbs avail as mentioned from Daytona Carb and Mikes Carburetor are nice but at $340 a bit much for me.

DJ

Screenshot (14).png

I hope that it does eliminate the tube hence the reason for the electric.

I have never done this to a YF carb myself it just dawned on me that there are many electric choke conversions available for many older carbs and just did a web search and came up with the one posted above. There may be more available from different sources but I did not look any further once I found this one.

DJ

Bbdakota,

How long has the carb been on your car?  I read a couple of posts elsewhere that spoke about the China made carbs having problems after a few months of use and wondered if you have any info about it. Sounds like a good deal from what you have said in earlier posts.

8 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Bbdakota,

How long has the carb been on your car?  I read a couple of posts elsewhere that spoke about the China made carbs having problems after a few months of use and wondered if you have any info about it. Sounds like a good deal from what you have said in earlier posts.

I've had it since March so about 7 months now. So far no problems with mine. I was a  little sceptical but for the price, I wasn't going to lose much money trying it. At first, I didn't hook up the linkage or heat tube. I just bolted it on to try it out. I had no luck with the old carbs and ready to try something different. 

• 2 months later...