Off topic but found a product to kill Lantern Flies

desoto1939

My name is Rich Hartung and I live near valley Forge PA. I have several Maple trees that had a good amount of Lantern Flies on the trucks and also branches.  I went to Home Depot and purchased a product that you hook up to your hose. The product is called Spectracide Triazicide Insect killer.  I directly sprayed the product on the flies that were on the truck and branches. This then knocked them off the tree. I then sprayed the ones on the ground.  I went back out about a 1 hour later and the ones on the ground were all dead and no new amount of lantern flies were on the tree.  The cost is around $9.00 per 32oz bottle.

Give it a try it is cheap protection and might save your trees.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

cell 484-431-8157

No not Fireflies or Lightning Bugs.  This is a new bug that came in from Japan or china. It attachs the Maple trees and then sucks the sap and then they lay their eggs in the tree and then the tree gets killed.  They are very harmful to Maple trees and have hit the east coat. If they do get to the New England states it will severly affect their maple sugar product.  Do a look up on Lantern Flies.

The spotted lanternfly is a planthopper that is indigenous to parts of China, India, Vietnam, and eastern Asia. Although it has two pairs of wings, it jumps more than it flies. Its host plants include grapes, stone fruits, and Malus species, though its preferred host is Ailanthus altissima. In its native habitat it is kept in check by natural predators or pathogens. It was accidentally introduced in Korea in 2006 and has since been considered a pest. In September 2014, it was first recorded in the United States, and it is now an invasive species in eastern Pennsylvania, southwestern New Jersey, northern Delaware as well as northern Virginia.

Image result for lantern fly

Rich Hartung

Edited by desoto1939