battery water

captden29

my battery is always spitting water out the caps. I thought it was overcharging. reading at idle is 6.74 v across batt., and at fast idle is 7.65. these seem to me to be correct.. is this just normal for these cars. it is a 265 in my 54 Windsor, all original. batt. about 2 years old, but has always done this. should I be worried? always keeps a charge.   capt den 

I do not know the correct answer, my thoughts are. The voltages sound good, if the battery was low and needed charged.

To me, 7.65 seems a little high if the battery is fully charged ... leads me to think the voltage regulator is a little out of tune.

Now I will wait for the correct answer  :)

39 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I do not know the correct answer, my thoughts are. The voltages sound good, if the battery was low and needed charged.

To me, 7.65 seems a little high if the battery is fully charged ... leads me to think the voltage regulator is a little out of tune.

Now I will wait for the correct answer  :)

You are correct. max 7.2

Edited by chrysler1941

quick replies. thank you. I will look in the manual for a way to adjust the regulator to about 7.2v. I thought 7.65 was still in line with normal,but if the regulator is adjustable I will try that. I am tired of wiping the battery dry all the time. I went to a car display yesterday in downtown Wilmington, nc. riverfest, mostly vendors, music, food. never had so much interest in my car. seems more people are liking an original car with patina. it seems to remind them more of their parents and grandparents cars than others. nice to talk to people and hear the memories.  thanks for the voltage advice.  capt den

7 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Original voltage regulators were adjustable. I am guessing somewhere later, the replacement voltage regulators were built cheaply and can not be adjusted.

The one on my truck does not have provisions (screws) to adjust it ... not sure what I can do with it yet.

Alternator!   (running for cover....  ?  )

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Haha 1

regulators were  adjusted by bending the spring hook on the regulator elements.  This is simple enough BUT read the shop manual or the advice given in a Motors manual first !

form me, adjusting the regulators is the most difficult thing!

1.) You should do it in hot conditions, if not You will find much different readings

while driving later.

Therefore I drive to a lonely place to let the engine run without bothering others.

Because of the complexity I always had adjusted some spare regulators at the same time.

2.) some regulators have a metal arm to be bent to change the spring´s tension.

If You think of making a bending tool (see manual) remember to provide a good isolation.

You must bend really in very small steps, pause a moment and check the result.

As today´s (chinese??) regulators suffer of wear, more than 50 yrs earlier, this procedure has to be done peroidically.

I really hate it,  and I ordered a solid state, 50 A 6V regulator at "Power Wagon" to

replace the old electro mechanical one.~120$

When I have some practical experience, I will report it´s  reliability.

Another option is a modern Alternator with built in no frills regulator . ~150$

In old- fashioned case ~ 400 $, but I didn´t go into prices deeply.

Greetings! Go

did not think they could easily be adjusted. the shop manual procedure looks difficult, but I will read it again. will also look at motors. thanks for the advice. I was also thinking of calling junkyards, as most cars in there were not put there for a bad regulator. I do not think any shop today has the ability to do anything as all the old timers and old equipment are gone.  capt den