1952 Imperial Brakes for Plymouth Suburban

Loren

I have found a 1952 Imperial two door (pillar less hardtop) that somebody took apart decades ago that's sitting in wrecking yard.

The wrecking yard is going to close soon so with a little wheeling and dealing it will be delivered to my garage.

My thought was to transfer the brakes and the differential (if it is a 3.53, I already have a 3.73) to my 1952 Suburban.

The brakes fill the wheels, so I figure they are 12 x 2 inch. I am guessing the wheels are 15 x 5.5 inches vs the Plymouth's 15 x 4.5.

I am thinking I can drive out the King Pins in the front and use the Imperial spindles. In the rear the Imperial Brakes should fit the Plymouth rear axle housing.

The rest of the car can be had for cheap and I detected zero rust in the body. It's a real shame it's been allowed to waste away in a bone yard.

Is there anything I need to know about this plan?

I am correct in my guesses about the brakes and the wheels.

The Imperial a arms,upper lower pivot shafts  steering knuckles and king pins are all much larger in size and diameter with 12x2 inch brakes including larger wheel bearings and seals. As for the rear....axle shafts are bigger in taper to fit the larger 12" rear drums.You could swap the whole complete rear end but would require yoke swap and  possibly a shorter drive shaft because the Imperial has a larger 4 pinion differential.

Also might be possible to swap in the complete a arm's, spindles and springs but the larger springs would raise the front end making a proper alignment troublesome. 

The Imperial,New Yorker and Saratoga cars are all the big heavy chassis MoPar cars that have the hard to find large drive train and chassis parts.

This swap might be more difficult than you think. I have a few of these models of Chryslers and the small chassis Plymouths.

• Like 1

Hmm

Well, this is why I asked.

After reading your reply I checked Andy's site and you are painfully correct some of the parts are pretty spendy or just not available.

Due to the wrecking yard closing, I'll be getting the Imperial like it or not.

Once I have it I can pull some parts and see if there are any solutions.

When you read about putting 12 x 2 inch Lincoln Zephyr hydraulic brakes on a Model A, it sounds rather involved but they do it every day.

What got me was the one vendor offering "remanufactured" Imperial drums for nearly $600!

All it would take to ruin my day would be one bad drum or the nagging notion I might need one years from now.

Hmm indeed.

Perhaps 11 x 2 is more practical.

• Like 1

Eleven inch brakes from a Royal or Desoto can be easily put on your Plymouth but you must have the spindles as well. Twelve inch brakes from a larger Chrysler,( but not the Imperial) will fit but the Plymouth wheels will not clear the drum.  In both cases you must reset the toe in because of the change in position of the steering arm.  Slight, but necessary.

Edited by dpollo
spelling

Well, now I know more than I did before!

All good suggestions. Part of this wrecking yard deal is a 1950 DeSoto donor car.

So it’s a question of the path of least resistance verses effectiveness and future spares.

Happily I have a machine shop so making a part isn’t impossible.

Hi James,

The closest thing he has are the Imperial, the DeSoto and a very sad Plymouth Business Coupe.

But he's got a pile of manual transmissions in so many variations I was surprised they made so many (no Overdrives)

There is a bone yard in Arizona that has a bunch of 1952-54 Windsors which might still have what you need.

www.dvap.com is the web site. I'd like to go see the place, let me know if you'd like to go. (I have a pickup to transport treasures)

The 1950-52 Chrysler Windsors use 12" brakes. They will bolt on.

Same small Plymouth sized bearing 12" drums are used on the 1951-52 V8 Saratoga cars...small wheel bearings king pins etc.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya