What's it worth? 47 Dodge Town Sedan

Imperigal

Hi guys and gals!  I need some help figuring out what my 47 Dodge would sell for as is. Believe me, I'm uncomfortable even writing this post! We don't want to sell, but we've got our hands full running two small businesses and being involved in other non automotive projects.

I've had a difficult time trying to ascertain an appropriate value for this car. I was thinking initially 7500, but I think that might be on the high side. It is running and driving, but I have yet to tackle the brakes. It is in very good condition, but as with all 70 + year old cars, it could use a few things. 

I will be more than happy to post pictures, videos, etc. Has anyone here purchased or sold a 47 Town sedan?

Your help and input is greatly appreciated ?

20190908_193856.jpg

• Like 1

Wish I could buy it but my wife would make me live in it! Your car is fairly rare. Dodge built far more regular 4- door sedans than town sedans. 7500 seems fair but I’d start a little higher. Just remember that these mopars aren’t as collectible as GM’s or fords so it may take longer to sell. There is a buyer for every car though. Good luck.

• Like 1

7500 is more than fair.  Insurance requested that we value our "regular" D24 4dr sedan at $10,800.  Your car would be an easy 11 or 12K because of its relative scarcity in comparison.  But there's just not a huge market for them.  Yours is in about the same cosmetic shape as our car, and everything works on ours.  I would recommend getting the brakes done before you sell, if you can, not that hard and folks always appreciate it more when a car is actually drivable (sometimes subject to interpretation).   There are several valuation guides on the market (that are also subject to interpretation) that can get you pointed in the right direction for price.  I used to go to Barnes & Noble, find a valuation guide, and look up a car in question.  Then put the book back on the shelf.  If I was hunting for something, I would get the book.

But I'd also suggest keeping the car for a bit, you seemed awful excited about it for a while there.  Nothing sez you have to have it on the road now, and later you may wish you had kept it.  Of course that's contingent on storage space, etc.  Just a thought.   

• Like 2

For what its worth there was another one by a dealer on US ebay on & off over the past 3-4 months for from memory, $6800 or close to that, it appeared to be a good original able to be used as is car........as mentioned they are a rarity but the 4dr sedan market is not real great so as others have said $7500 seems fair but you may have to negotiate.........looks nice tho'............here in Oz we only got the basic 4dr sedan and was based on the Plymouth essentially.......those Town Sedans are a neat car.............andyd 

• Like 1

I appreciate everyone's insight!  I realize that 4-doors are not the most sought after market, so it would take longer to sell (if we decided to). We love the feel of this car - the vibe.  I'm confident that we could get the brake situation figured out, just need to find more time!  I'm excited about getting it to the point where it could be driven daily/weekly. Nothing makes me happier than running mundane errands a classic....because then it's not really mundane, is it? ?

Thanks again for your feedback.  Much appreciated!!

Christine