pumping brakes

cerick305

I have a P15 1947 Special deluxe.  I need to pump the brake pedal a few times to get pressure buildup.  I thought maybe I was losing fluid, but I am not.  Master cylinder was replaced few years ago and since then, I haven't had to add a drop of fluid.  Brakes work fine, but need to pump to get pressure in the pedal.  Not sure what a solution would be?

Edited by cerick305

If your shoes are traveling too far to contact the drum, ya gotta pump twice. Or three times. Then they reach the drum. Then you get pedal feed back.

A proper concentric adjustment, makes all the difference in the world for these lockheed brakes. Gotta do so, with some type of mocked up tool. There are several examples on this site if you search. Here’s my mockery. 

C0411942-9331-49E5-AB35-E81423BB040A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

I’ve had severely out of adjustment brakes take a pump to get a firm pedal. First pump gets the shoes out to the drum, residual pressure valve holds them close long enough to ‘get another bite’, second pump applies the brakes. 

Yep, quite common.  air can cause it too, but always accompanied with a spongy feel first.  If the first application is solid, but low pedal, it's adjustment.

The tools are nice, but one can get by with careful, repetitive, major and minor adjustments.  Instructions are on this site, under the technical tab, then select brakes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

I’ve had severely out of adjustment brakes take a pump to get a firm pedal. First pump gets the shoes out to the drum, residual pressure valve holds them close long enough to ‘get another bite’, second pump applies the brakes. 

Thats been my exact experience too. Bleeding completed, never fixed the need to double pump. A good adjustment got everything feeling right.