Door locks, or lack there of

lostviking

I had one of the machinists at work make me a small cylinder, .25 dia x .48 long with a 4-40 through down the center (304 SST). I might not have taken a picture :). I roughed it up on the outer surface with some 80 grit sand paper to give the epoxy a bit more to grab onto. I cleaned everything with brake cleaner to prep the surfaces, then epoxied it in place using JD Weld Steel Reinforced Epoxy. It has a 3127 PSI yield.

It's in the door curing right now, I'll snap a picture tomorrow. I used the quick set so it should be go to go in 4-6 hours, but I'm not in a hurry.

After it's cured, I'll remove the tape I used to protect the lock area and the end of the insert, place the lock and run the set screw into the lock body. I haven't decided yet, but I might remove the lock and drill maybe .030 into the body where the set screw makes contact. I'll see how it feels tomorrow.

Added some pictures:

First shows the insert from the hole in the rear edge of the door. I did nick the paint around the edges, so I"ll have to touch up the bare metal. You can just see the edge of the original tube that was threaded for a large set screw.

Second show the end of the insert from the hole in the door. Just a bit of the tape I used to ensure no epoxy got into the threads.

Tomorrow I'll put the lock back in and tighten the set screw. I'll see then if that's a done deal, or I want to put a small dimple for the set screw. Either way the insert is a bit longer than the original tube was.

insert end view.jpg

insert through door hole.jpg

Edited by lostviking
Added pics