Front Clip Frustrations! Need advice - 46 Chrysler

ebruns1

Hey Fellas!

Well, it's been awhile but I've been working diligently removing all the body mounts and let me tell you it's been a struggle!  Almost every other nut and bolt has fought me all the way!  So I wound up grinding, sawing and using a nut splitter to get every body bolt free.  I"m finally in the home stretch but hitting a snag with the front clip.  I got the bumpers and splash guards off too.  Here's the problem with the front clip:  

1.  Removed the 2 radiator U-mount bolts from underneath frame

2.  Removed the 2 bolts on the bottom of the front fenders where they bolt into the cowl.

3.  Removed the 4 bolts (2 each side) where the rear front fender sits on the little support shelf.

4.  Removed the belt line trim and the 4 screws (2 each side) that holds the top rear of each fender to the cowl.

So, what else is left?  It doesn't really want to budge even with two of us trying to lift it.  It seems like the clip can't be lifted straight up anyway as the bottom rear of the fenders wrap under the body metal so that you almost have to pull it straight forward to slide it out before lifting.  Am I correct in my methodology?  Did I miss any other bolts that I don't see?  Also, just so you know everything coming through the firewall including the steering wheel have been removed or cut or disconnected.  This is get me scratching my head.  I'd be grateful for any insight!

Thanks,

Jim

clip1.jpg

clip2.jpg

bumper.jpg

I'd bet the inner fender panels are still stuck to the cowl because of the anti-sqeak....work the sheet metal loose from the cowl with a putty knife or what works.

Lift the front of the nose up and down to loosen it....once loose raise the core support free of the frame then pull the whole nose forward and off. It's heavy too.

Are you trying to lift the front clip WITH the radiator or radiator support frame included?............I'd think you would be better to leave the radiator support on the car and undo it from the inner fenders and the bolts at either side that are in line with the hood sides...........although my experience has been with 1940 Dodge & 1941 Plymouth the mopar assembly is basically the same up to 1948 and I know that with these two cars at least its better to leave the radiator support & radiator in place and remove the front clip leaving it..............Dodgeb4ya makes a good point re the anti-squeak..........if it front clip hasn't been removed in 70 years then it may need a little loosening, hit every bolt joining area with WD40 or similar and a little prising apart..............andyd 

Mike, Dodge and Andy,

Thank you all for the replies and specially to Mike for the excellent photograph!  Now I clearly see why it won't come off, MORE inaccessible bolts...yay!  Also very jealous of Mike's car if it looked that clean after removal in there compared to my rusted North East sheet metal POS.  Dang, if I didn't get this one for $800 I would not be putting in the hours wrenching to get it ready to go to my welder/fabricator to fix all the floor pan rot and cross bars and body mounts.  

Andy, yes I am planning to leave everything attached to the radiator U-mount and lift the front clip off in one piece.  The radiator is already out and there is nothing else holding it to the cowl except for the aforementioned 5 bolts per side.  Seems easiest to attach an engine hoist to the u-mount and just lift it right up and off.  No reason to wrestle with scores of additional half rusted nuts and bolts if I don't have to.  Will also make the engine easily accessible too without the inner fenders in the way.  It doesn't look like they are attached to the frame anywhere either.  Once it's out it can also be easily wet blasted and painted before reassembly.  Am I thinking wrong here?