Whistle and Chug

bambamshere

So I have now put about a 100 Km on my 1956 Fargo 251. It has a whistle at idle. I don't think it is the radiator. Antifreeze gets between 170 and about 190, 200. It is a brand new thermostat. What I was wondering could it be the vent tube under the truck. Doesn't seem to do it when I am parked. Just at traffic lights

Now the chugging noise. When I am driving and put my foot in to it it sound like a train when taking off. Sorry only thing I can compare it to. Anyone know if it is just normal running in this truck. I have never heard another engine like this running. 

10 hours ago, bambamshere said:

So I have now put about a 100 Km on my 1956 Fargo 251. It has a whistle at idle. I don't think it is the radiator. Antifreeze gets between 170 and about 190, 200. It is a brand new thermostat. What I was wondering could it be the vent tube under the truck. Doesn't seem to do it when I am parked. Just at traffic lights

Now the chugging noise. When I am driving and put my foot in to it it sound like a train when taking off. Sorry only thing I can compare it to. Anyone know if it is just normal running in this truck. I have never heard another engine like this running. 

So - you have a "whistle" at idle while at traffic lights, but not when parked? Could it be something with your clutch? (Just thinking out loud with minimal information - that might be one thing different between parked and at a traffic light at idle)

Chugging noise? Does it "feel" like anything is wrong? Like its missing or anything? Hard to tell without more information or context. There is plenty of videos of these engines running on youtube - does it sound drastically different than any of those?

I've heard a throw-out bearing whistle - a chug? does the chug have a feel to it? or is the power pull feel smooth? does the chug noise change with the gas peddle position? Charlie Stephenson

1 hour ago, Charlie Stephenson said:

I've heard a throw-out bearing whistle - a chug? does the chug have a feel to it? or is the power pull feel smooth? does the chug noise change with the gas peddle position? Charlie Stephenson

It makes the chug sound when I give it gas. Once I take foot off gas it sounds nice.no longer making the noise

2 hours ago, HotRodTractor said:

So - you have a "whistle" at idle while at traffic lights, but not when parked? Could it be something with your clutch? (Just thinking out loud with minimal information - that might be one thing different between parked and at a traffic light at idle)

Chugging noise? Does it "feel" like anything is wrong? Like its missing or anything? Hard to tell without more information or context. There is plenty of videos of these engines running on youtube - does it sound drastically different than any of those?

I will check YouTube on that. Plus I was thinking of transmission last night about chugging noise. The whistle noise kind of sounds like when you boil water. But it could also be transmission. How can you check that. 

12 minutes ago, bambamshere said:

I will check YouTube on that. Plus I was thinking of transmission last night about chugging noise. The whistle noise kind of sounds like when you boil water. But it could also be transmission. How can you check that. 

Does the "whistle" noise come and go as you push in the clutch at idle while sitting still? Does the transmission need to be in gear for it to happen? So its a high pitched "screeching" sound?

Maybe you can get some video of the noises and post it up.

1 hour ago, John Rogers said:

If your hearing the whistle at an idle and it goes away when throttle is applied I'd be looking for a vacuum leak. Id start with the fittings for the vacuum advance and any vac lines coming from the manifold etc.. 

John 

beat me to this potential answer!  

Got vacuum wipers? Try playing with the off/on knob, does sound change?

A thought.

DJ

Alright I have checked the air and was spraying the exhaust manifold and the carburetor cleaner stayed and evaporated on some bolts and around them but most got pushed away from exhaust escaping. I have had gaskets for a bit now but didn't think I was that bad. I will do them tomorrow when they cool down. 

Edited by bambamshere

I had have a whistle, starts about 45 and continues higher pitch and louder till 60.  Doesn't happen when shifting manouvering at low speeds or with the windows up. Drove me nuts for about two months.  In October of last year, I had to have my wedding ring cut off and resized, in October, I had some health issues and lost about 35 pounds.  Now my ringer is to loose to stay on my finger so I started wearing it on my middle finger but it never felt right.  I was rusteling around in my dresser drawer and found a ring that was my father's, it was a bit smaller so I started wearing it as a guard to keep the wedding ring from falling off.  Now this all happened during the winter. Fast forward to spring , jump in the P-15, crank her up roll down the window and take off.  Get up to cruising speed elbow goes up on the door, left hand goes out on the opened vent window, whistling starts 

.  Slow down, pull over open hood rev engine no whistle, back in up to speed elbow out hand up whistle starts.  So apparently with my hand on the vent window the air goes into the setting of the ring wistles  around and exits through the hole under the setting.. Damed thing will even play a tune if I move the ring around and change speed.

Now if only I had a chug for rythm, I could be a one Plymouth band...

Edited by greg g
  • Haha 1

So I was going to change exhaust manifold gaskets today. I messed up while taking the 2 bolt out of engine. I about 4 liters of antifreeze come out of engine block on to my floor. Oh live and learn. 

If anyone reads this drain antifreeze first. Before taking exhaust manifold off. Wish someone told me. 

Anyways have a good day going to by antifreeze now

1 hour ago, Jerry Roberts said:

Evidently you need to read the postings here more often . It has been mentioned many times . Same goes for the head bolts and the water pump bolts . Sorry for your trouble . 

Not blaming anyone. Live and learn. Already past it but would anyone use gasket glue with the manifold gasket to seal up those to bolt holes or just thread locker like blue lock tight.

If you look at the difference in the color in the second photo.

Looks like to me that it was leaking on the top where it looks like rust. I would say you found it.

I once had a friend who had a older chevy with a exhaust leak. The truck was perfectly quiet, but every now and then it when letting off the gas and coasting to a stop. The 6 cylinder engine would make the loudest backfire noise that ... you needed to carry TP when driving in the truck.

It turned out to be a tiny leak at the exhaust manifold.

Just saying the leak is kinda like a musical instrument, depending on the leak the sound it will make.

I think you found at least one issue.

6 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

If you look at the difference in the color in the second photo.

Looks like to me that it was leaking on the top where it looks like rust. I would say you found it.

I once had a friend who had a older chevy with a exhaust leak. The truck was perfectly quiet, but every now and then it when letting off the gas and coasting to a stop. The 6 cylinder engine would make the loudest backfire noise that ... you needed to carry TP when driving in the truck.

It turned out to be a tiny leak at the exhaust manifold.

Just saying the leak is kinda like a musical instrument, depending on the leak the sound it will make.

I think you found at least one issue.

I hope so I am.working on the next. This manifold cam off so nice except the 4 center bolts 2 of then were good 2 of them were hit by 8 pound sludge yes nuts were on the and nothing 

Good time to take a straight edge and check you manifolds for flatness while you have them off.

DJ

Since you have the manifolds off you may want to take the time to separate them. Usually when there is an exhaust leak it will be black around the area where it was leaking. Is there any black around the junction where the two manifolds are bolted together? That is also a possible source for leakage. 

Merle

just a guess. This may be the first time it has ever been apart.

Somebody in the past tried to shove some sealer and silicone into a hole to stop a leak.

Back in the 1980's, a old dodge with a flathead 6,  that's what I would have done ... I may even tried to weld em closed if I had access to a welder.  :D

Today I feel different, back then these old trucks were just about as backwards as you could find.

Nobody was actually going to spend money on one to repair it properly. Why they are so rare today.