Alternator swap

Sniper

Howdy all,

Picked up a new to me 51 Cambridge and in the process of trying to get it sorted for inspection so that i can register it I decided the entire electrical system needed updating.  I eventually want to put AC in the car and that pretty much mandates a 12v electrical system.  Not here to debate going to 12v, decision is made.  So with that said, step one for your review.  Removing the generator and putting in an alternator.  Being a Mopar guy I am going to keep this conversion as Mopar as I can.  So the alternator is spec'd for an 87 Dodge Diplomat, used own one years ago.

915713517_genstart.jpg.55dff80199a797c16bf3a64fcf4662c7.jpg1172972198_Enginecompartafter.jpg.d364a4f3ef1d4517e2e324796101969c.jpg

• Like 1

Got it up and running today, in the middle of completely rewiring the entire vehicle.  By completely,  I mean every inch of wire that was on that vehicle when I rolled it onto my trailer is now in the trash.  A video of the charging system doing it's thing. 

https://youtu.be/Y1O8mc46r-E

I am happy to see this alternator put in place...much better setup all around and 10 times more dependable...any and all tests are done in place, within just a couple minutes even if dragging your feet and brushes replaced without even as much as loosening the tension on the belt...I always use the Mopar alternator...