ISO Wheels!

sparg91

2 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

I thought split rings were widow makers?

A true widow maker is a 2 piece wheel, where the connection is in the middle. very difficult to tell if it is installed properly until it comes apart.

A split ring is a 1 piece wheel with a locking ring to hold the bead on.

Split rings are used on modern trucks today. As long as they are in good condition, easy to visually inspect to determine  they are installed properly before airing up.

They also can kill you, if you are careless.

31 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

A true widow maker is a 2 piece wheel, where the connection is in the middle. very difficult to tell if it is installed properly until it comes apart.

Split rings are used on modern trucks today. As long as they are in good condition, easy to visually inspect to determine  they are installed properly before airing up.

Yep, split rings are OK.  IF, the ring hasn't been deformed by mistreatment in the past and the groove it seats into is rust-free.  But, I still use utmost caution when airing, either on the truck with the ring side in or in a cage.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I agree 100%. Charlie Stephenson

Definitely agree! Tough thing is finding a split ring “Budd” 20” wheel in a 5 lug pattern.

I have a tire shop near me that services semi truck tires. The split ring is no big deal at all. Just can’t find any that fit my WF32

55 minutes ago, sparg91 said:

Definitely agree! Tough thing is finding a split ring “Budd” 20” wheel in a 5 lug pattern.

I have a tire shop near me that services semi truck tires. The split ring is no big deal at all. Just can’t find any that fit my WF32

About the hole pattern:  If you have a machine shop nearby with a CNC mill it is fairly simple to make new holes precisely.  My grandson has done some for me.  Unfortunately (for me) he now works in  a shop that doesn't allow employees to do such things.

The machines he's used all come with some standard software that includes controls for holes on a circle x degrees apart.  The operator locates the wheel, inputs the circle radius and degrees of seperation.  mount the tools.  Hit start.  quick and easy.

So if you can find the right size/style wheel, a new set of holes is possible..

Just curious, I have a 94 Pace Arrow motor home that has a 19.5 inch rim. It uses the same rime all the way around, drive axle, tag axle, and front axles. They are a 10 hole rim but for the front end only 5 lugs are used. I have to wonder of this is workable for your application? The GM P30 chassis.

11 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

I thought split rings were widow makers?

Old Fords used the "Widow Maker" wheels...Dodge used the safer, easier to service "Split Side Ring" wheels...

Pics...

Split Ring DT wheel.jpg

Split Side  Ring DT Wheel...not the widow maker style wheel 2.jpg

RH-5 Killer Split Rim Ford.jpg

widowmaker_04.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
spelling
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, johnsartain said:

Just curious, I have a 94 Pace Arrow motor home that has a 19.5 inch rim. It uses the same rime all the way around, drive axle, tag axle, and front axles. They are a 10 hole rim but for the front end only 5 lugs are used. I have to wonder of this is workable for your application? The GM P30 chassis.

I was just going to suggest these wheels. company were i used to work had a c3500HD chevy bucket truck which im guessing is the same frame. i just looked up the specs on those wheels. 

they are 19.5" x 6". the bolt pattern is 10 x 7.25". and the center bore is 5.25". the wheel stud is 5/8"

there are other 10 bolt wheels out there on f550's ,ect that probably have different bolt patterns. ive even seen f550s with aluminum wheels if you wanted a touch of modern look.

Depepending on your drum size, the 19.5’s may not fit over the drum on the inner rears since they’re drop centers