Steering column wiring

Mark H

Hi all! I'll start with thank you for all the help I've gotten as I've been lurking here since getting my 1950 Desoto. This forum and Google search have been so helpful while we've (my son and I) have been working on her. Now, we've got an issue which I haven't found an answer for.

First, backstory. This car is so nice! 81,000 original miles, sitting 30 years. All original, all there but the seats. A previous owner had purchased an aftermarket wiring harness and the other parts to covert to 12v. Downside, also removed most of the original wiring. Coulda used it, right? So, we're rewiring the car. 

Now, the question. The wires coming out of the steering column aren't making sense. I thought there would be a power in, horn out, turn signal left and right. There's six wires, none of which are working the rest light. Previously, we were under the car and wondered aloud be"What does this loose wire go to?". When none of the wires from the column seemed to be working, he pulled the steering wheel to access the switch. I wasn't expecting to see a wire in the middle of the steering shaft. Turns out it was the loose wire under the car. Maybe nothing works because the ground is disconnected? He connected it to ground, but still nothing works the test light. So, does anyone know which wire is supposed to work which circuit?

IMG_20190914_215404.jpg

IMG_20190914_215358.jpg

This link explains it pretty well, worth reading if a person is in your shoes. The wire running down the steering shaft is for the horn.  A wiring diagram for your car would also be helpful. Goodluck. 

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/turn-signal-wiring-how-to.869492/

• Like 1

So, at these guys have shown, that wire is for the horn. The “loose end” under the car should be coming out the end of the steering box and go to the horn relay to provide a ground to activate the relay. When you press down the horn button/ring you complete the ground for that wire, and the horn circuit. 

• Like 1

The steering column harness makes the turn signals and brake lights work.  A wire coming off the flasher unit supplies the power to the switch.  The rest of it feeds the front and rear turn signals and brake lights.  Two wires to the front, three to the rear plus one hot wire=6 wires in that harness.

Is that a vinyl roof on your car??

DJ

Too bad about extra work but if that is the worst( I really,really doubt) you have to do- you struck gold!

Never cared much for vinyl roofs myself.

DJ