swap a 251 out for a 265?

Greg51T&CWagon

Easy direct swap...except industrial manifolds, carb, dist and pulleys etc. Swap them off your old 251.

• Like 2

Your 251 head will bolt right on.

• Like 1

just be aware of the extra water passage at the front ( bump on front of head water passage in block)  Spitfire engines in my experience did not have this feature

even though it appeared on other blocks in 1951.  Should you need to plug this passage in the block,  9/16 NF will thread the hole.

• Like 1

like so many they learn after the fact they take an offer to find the "value" and by dropping communication they can back out of the deal and later sell it for more money... or could be just a matter of tied up with family and life....but I have seen the first scenario just way too many times....

As mentioned should be an easy swap.

The IND "cam profile", may or may not be an issue, sometimes the cam profile for industrial use, is engineered to provide lower RPM grunt, and a lower redline on total max RPM.

On the head, unless it was cut down a whole lot, most likely not gonna be an issue.

Heck you could use a 218 CDN Long Block head for a big compression increase, the 218 has the smallest CC of the heads on long block engines..

Dodgeb4ya and dpollo offer great insight into these engines. Both have several years of experience under their belts.... 

• 2 months later...

So looks like I found another possible 265. Fingers crossed. Picking it up first week of December. Not sure of displacement. It's out of a combine. 25" Chrysler engine. Could be a 251 which is fine. Taking it to George Asche for him to rebuild. Are most combines 265? or are 251 combine engines also common? Did they install other displacements in combines?

15 minutes ago, Greg51T&CWagon said:

So looks like I found another possible 265. Fingers crossed. Picking it up first week of December. Not sure of displacement. It's out of a combine. 25" Chrysler engine. Could be a 251 which is fine. Taking it to George Asche for him to rebuild. Are most combines 265? or are 251 combine engines also common? Did they install other displacements in combines?

From the little bit that I have seen - it depends on the combine manufacturer. I've seen lots of Massey's with 251 engines installed, and that might because they also used that engine in their tractors. Oliver Combines - I think were all 265 (I have one engine, and have only seen 2 from this application, so.... ). I would definitely verify it either way, as anything is possible with the amount of time that has passed since they were new.

• Like 1