Moog Rear Spring Shackle Bushings; '48 P15

Sam Buchanan

Replaced the shackle bushings today.....railroad crossings no long go thumpity-CLUNK.  :)   The new rear engine mounts along with the shackle bushings also eliminated most of the clutch chatter.

I found some Moog bushings at a good price on eBay but they are the domed head style. I cut 5/16" off the head of each bushing with the bandsaw as shown in the photo and they then looked like the bushings in my car and fit perfectly.

Moog K200917

These are readily available. Be advised there are two bushings in each box. The eBay vendor advertised "8" bushings, but I received eight boxes....I now have an extra set of bushings.

shackle-bushings.jpg.4ce1275f18388410508b2ff525dac37b.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Sam....I would have thought that the domed head style would have fitted anyway or were they just too wide?..........andyd

16 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Sam....I would have thought that the domed head style would have fitted anyway or were they just too wide?..........andyd

Too wide, Andy, don't think I would have ever gotten the loose half of the shackle fitted and the nut started. They fit nicely after trimming....I trimmed them to match the dimensions of the bushings I removed.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Sam, when I've used those type of rubber bushes I've used a C clamp to pull the shackles together but the ones I'd used must have been a different width/thickness where the domed area is..........andyd 

7 hours ago, Andydodge said:

Sam, when I've used those type of rubber bushes I've used a C clamp to pull the shackles together but the ones I'd used must have been a different width/thickness where the domed area is..........andyd 

I thought about using a clamp but since the ones I replaced weren't domed I just modified them. There would have been about 5/8" of rubber to compress with a clamp if I hadn't trimmed them. Probably could have gotten by with less trimming but they work fine. If someone finds these bushings locally they should be able to make them work on their car with no problems.

Hey Sam, 

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing. Ordered mine from Rockauto. Said Ea on the site. They should have said set. I now have an extra set as well.

The ones I got were Moog as well and they were domed but fit right in with no trimming. $1.39 per box and 2 in each box. But at that price it's not worth the postage to return them.

Joe Lee

55 minutes ago, soth122003 said:

Hey Sam, 

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing. Ordered mine from Rockauto. Said Ea on the site. They should have said set. I now have an extra set as well.

The ones I got were Moog as well and they were domed but fit right in with no trimming. $1.39 per box and 2 in each box. But at that price it's not worth the postage to return them.

Joe Lee

Yep, I overpaid....seems to be a habit I have with this car.....  ;)

I couldn't get the loose side of the shackle in the space between the bumper bracket/fender without trimming, but it all worked out fine.