pressure washer

Los_Control

Just curious how often you guys use your pressure washer? Could you live without it?

I have been thinking about one for awhile. I have been brushing off the idea, really just do not have the room to store it at this time.

I figure I can live without it, until I get my back yard shed built, will have more room then.

Seems like every time I turn around, I have another use for the pressure washer.

My question to those that have them, do you really use them? or is it a tool you used a few times and it sits in the corner since?

On my list at the moment

1, My house exterior is dusty,  could use it and would look better.

2, I am a handyman for a friend on his brick rental house, it really needs it, he wanted to paint, I suggested pressure wash.  I would actually make money with the washer here.

3, I really think it would help my 49 dodge, just preparing it and getting it cleaned and ready for paint & driving.

4, Last week working on my 1991 daily driver, brakes and u-joints. The frame looks rusty.  Then I realize it is red mud, and the frame is actually pretty nice. A good washing and spot painting would go  a  

long ways. Same with the front suspension.

Just starting to think that I would use it more then I thought I would, and make room for it in my small stable.

pressure washing is a job.....my house is huge and it is a couple days for me to get it done working steady.....as I live near farm fields...cleaning is constant need due to dust floating in the air...thank you Mr Farmer...but farmers feed us so I try not to bitch except when they kill bees with pesticides....

as for using on the car...they handy....but it would be a task that I would have to have a lot to clean to break out the pressure washer.....

it is pressure washing outside now...heck of a downpour just popped up for us...quick storm....followed mums to the house from town....about 45 minutes getting here so was able to get my painted items inside and handing...with exceptions to the very large items in the 100 lb plus range..they painted first, they have skinned over nicely...thank you Mr. Hardener....

I use mine probably three times a year. Biggest job is the deck, which takes two and a half tanks of gas and the better part of an afternoon. Sometimes I think about pressure washing the engines on the DeSoto and the Ural, but if I sit the feeling passes.

59 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

pressure washing is a job.....my house is huge and it is a couple days for me to get it done working steady.

for using on the car...they handy....but it would be a task that I would have to have a lot to clean to break out the pressure washer.

7 minutes ago, cheesy said:

Sometimes I think about pressure washing the engines on the DeSoto and the Ural, but if I sit the feeling passes.

This is kinda what I am wondering ... I got 5 jobs right now I would use it for, then I kinda wonder if I would just live fine without it, just do the same jobs without the pressure washer.

I actually just think that I might use it a few times, then park it in the corner and maybe never use it again.

I actually already dealt for a metal shed, 12' x 16' and I just need to go pick up the pieces, I only want the metal siding and roofing.

Then I would have space to park extra tools. We have to worry about rattle snakes around here ... I will wait for cooler weather before picking up what I bought.

I was wondering, if after you bought yours, you actually started to use it more then you expected.

to be  honest  with you, wife bought it for me for my birthday.....8 years later still new, I started it for the first time and now 11 years later...have used it twice to wash houses....yes I am ready for another pressure wash....but.....the peanuts and cotton are not in and to do that now would be a waste of my time and efforts....It was so much easier when the young man from the next town over would come and do the job...his prices was such I just could not justify putting my hand to the task given the time and effort it takes.  

21 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

his prices was such I just could not justify putting my hand to the task given the time and effort it takes.  

I guess thats where I have a issue. I am that guy that would do the job for you ... I just have a issue about hiring someone to do it for me.

I let the mechanic replace my tires, rebuild my exhaust, and front end alignment.

What really sucks, I refuse to let anyone work on my house.

This meant I dug by hand and replaced 110" of sewer pipe ... this year ... them "damn plumbers" not touching my house!

I only have 20' to go to get to the city sewer line. Working well as is.  I just cant imagine hiring someone to work for me.

Not saying it is always bright ... I do question if I would use a pressure washer as much as needed to cover cost.

I bought a Honda gas engine powered pressure washer new. Probably 10 years ago. About 2500 psi if I recall. We used it a ton when our boys were young and we all had dirt bikes. It made for quick clean up of our bikes and our muddy riding gear. They boys grew up, the dirt bikes gone. Today I have a huge driveway. Once a year I pull it out and wash the entire driveway to "like new".  My wife probably actually uses the pressure washer more than I do these days. She hits the fence boards every few years, then they get new stain. I don't feel the need to use a pressure washer on my vintage car. It rarely sees even a drop of rain. I just hand wash the car.

In the fall when I go hunting, I'll use it was clean up my 4-wheeler when I get home. Maybe hit the the truck too. Problem is, the driveway is so big, I've got to strategically place a muddy object near the entrance. So I can then just blast the mud to the soft shoulder on the road out front. Otherwise I'd had a mess of mud in my driveway. These are indeed first world problems.

Last winter, the pressure washer got put away out in the shed out back. Somehow I missed flushing anti-freeze thru it. The residual water in the pump froze. That was the end of the pump. I easily bought a new one and replaced it myself. 

For storage, the handle comes off. It fits in a smaller area under some storage shelving. It is now in my main, warmer, garage. Realistically it probably see 3-4 times a year average use, max. I could probably live without it. However when I do use it, it sure is nice. 

Mine is kinda like this one here.  https://www.bepowerequipment.com/washer-gas-6-5hp-2500psi-fe903bd3-93ad-4d11-b378-03a521cc7e1e I take the handle off as mentioned. 

Back up rings and o-rings for the wand: Buy and keep extras. They will leak in a few years. Not sure where to get some? Take em to your local Caterpillar heavy equipment dealer. Ask a parts guy to match them up. That worked well for me. The Honda engine has 100% been trouble free for a decade. I just change the oil and run it. It's my fault the pump froze!

Edited by keithb7

On our homestead a pressure washer is a necessity for a myriad of chores, but there is a learning curve to using it. My Generac is 2700psi and can cut lines into concrete slabs and wood deck framing on its highest setting if one is not careful when using it.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:10 PM, Los_Control said:

I guess thats where I have issue. I am that guy that would do the job for you ... I just have a issue about hiring someone to do it for me.

I let the mechanic replace my tires, rebuild my exhaust, and front end alignment.

What really sucks, I refuse to let anyone work on my house.

This meant Ih dug by hand and replaced 110" of sewer pipe ... this year ... them "damn plumbers" not touching my house!

I only have 20' to go to get to the city sewer line. Working well as is.  I just cant imagine hiring someone to work for me.

Not saying it is always bright ... I do question if I would use a pressure washer as much as needed to cover cost.

Hey easy on the plumbers! 

• Haha 1

I have a 2500 psi gas powered one that we use several times a year.  I have yet to use it on any of our cars, but will try it out on the Terraplane's frame come spring, I wouldn't use it on a good painted surface.  I have to clean Mother Nature's attempts to reclaim my trailers at least once a year, generally mid summer to get the remains of fall leaves, spring seeds, seedlings, hornets' nests, and such out of the cracks and gaps.  I have to use it on the roof of the shop every other year to get the lichens off to extend the life of the shingles, and every other year on the deck before I paint it.  I use it every spring to clean the garage floor, to get all the winter dirt and salt off the floor and out of the garage.  I also need it to clean the exterior of our house, which turns green if you don't keep it clean.  We didn't "need" a power washer until we moved to Maine and found the need to wash Maine off of stuff so it would last longer, or at least look like it's lasting longer.  I have heard of folks having issues with the pumps if they don't use them on a regular basis, especially if you have hard water.  

Edited by Dan Hiebert
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 8:15 PM, chuck 47 plym said:

Hey easy on the plumbers! 

We all have stories ... A quick one.

I once was hired to build a bathroom/shower/locker room for the workers in a concrete cutting shop.

Came time for the plumber to install the toilettes, but the owner made a change order and now wanted to epoxy paint the floors.

I caught the plumber after he unboxed the toilet, but before he installed it.

I explained the change order and asked he not install them, I would have to pull them out .... But offered to install it when the floor was finished .. As not to waste his time and schedule.

Then I went to lunch ... got in my truck and was ready to drive off. The plumber, he is like 6'5" 250 pounds, long red hair and beard ...

He walks out to my truck, then starts calling me every name in the book.

You dirty rotten bleep bleep bleep ... what makes you think your qualified to install my bleep bleep bleep toilets?  Get your bleep bleep bleep out of that truck and I 'll show you who can install a bleep bleep  toilette .....  I really was dumbfounded, my jaw dropped ... trying to figure out what the guy's problem was ... Smartly I already had the truck running and just drove off ... he was fired.

As a remodel carpenter, I enjoyed having a good plumber on the team to work with. But when their schedule did not work with the job, I just changed my schedule and stepped in for them.

If you have a 1 bathroom house, bathroom remodel .... customer is not going to wait a extra week for the plumbers schedule.

And being loyal, I only used the one plumber because he was good. I am not bad.

At this stage, although I physically needed the help. I talked to 2 different plumbing companies and still searching for the right plumber I can live/work with.

I just did it myself. And my truck project suffered for it.

1 hour ago, Dan Hiebert said:

I have a 2500 psi gas powered one that we use several times a year.

I have only used one a couple of times. Was a Honda gas motor but I do not know the psi.

I used it on my first B1C, and was surprised how it actually was removing the second coat of paint and leaving the original paint.

I saw with a couple hours of work, I could have it stripped down to original paint. Which of course was bad to begin with. Maybe with a little more work, would remove the original paint also.

Since my goal on my frame, springs under carriage etc ... is to remove all the old grease and crud. Use a rust converter.  I am not doing a restore, I just want to clean paint and grease, preserve it for the next generation and drive and repair as needed in the meantime.

With my physical disability, I think this is the best I can do at this time. I am thinking the pressure washer will be my friend.

Anytime I can get something done a little easier and faster, the more progress I can make.

I still do not have one, I am not going to spend $500 for one, but am looking at them. I like gas powered, I am leaning to a electric powered.

I am the guy that has a electric weed eater. It is a sthil , I got to drag 200' of cord with me ... but it works every time, no gas or carb issues, I weed eat at 6:00 am while it is cool and no Neighbors complaining.  I am guessing I want the pressure washer the same.

Just not sold on gas or electric yet, but leaning to electric.

They're kind of like pick-up trucks and basements.  Once you have one it's hard not to have one again.  We borrowed my brother-in-laws to clean the house when we lived in west New York, twenty minutes to do what would have otherwise taken a day or two.  I had to have one after that.  Harbor Freight has a run on the electric ones every spring up here.  Relatively inexpensive and they fly off the shelves, so they must either work well...or only last a year. 

Edited by Dan Hiebert
Typo
  • Like 2

Got one three years ago, use it on the deck spring and fall, use it every other year on the garage floor, flagstone walk way and wood retaining wall.  Did the whole house once, blast out the garden tractor deck every once in a while. Think it was on sale at Harbor freight for 79 bucks then had a 20% off coupon. Can't complain for that kinda outlay.  It has a detergent reservoir but never used it, couple different spray heads.

Edited by greg g

20 minutes ago, greg g said:

Got one three years ago,

Thats good to know.  I was just looking at them. $100 not on sale. I was a bit hesitant about quality and if they actually would do the job. 1750 psi seems good enough.

If yours has lasted for 3 years already, be hard to beat that. Is electric and small enough to hide in a corner.

Probably not repairable because of compact size ... thats ok for the price.

Still thinking the next level is $300, now it is gas, but individual parts can be repaired/replaced it is 2500 psi it is big and bulky and takes up space. Probably need to slime the tires or deal with flats.

The cheap electric one has some good qualities.

• 1 year later...

Here is a old post. Shows you how tight my wallet is  :D

I have been searching high & low for a decent used pressure washer. I do not think a decent "used" one exist. Then after the big freeze here in Texas, they all probably junk by now.

I ordered this one here, and is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to it ... then as others suggest the real work begins.

House is filthy and looks like it needs paint, where a good cleaning will go a long way.

I cant wait to use it on the b1b to help with paint prep. Removing 70 year old grease.

ddc88201-a43a-4a43-b07f-e241d66fa584.11f

I bought a stihl electric a couple years ago. To replace the junk gas one i had that would never run. Cheap honda knock off. 
i use the electric way more, cars and cleaning my mower. Wash parts with it, and my trailers in fall before i put them away. Also, i need to wash things off after seasonal storage if the birds are doing their business on them. 

thank goodness the pigeons have moved on-sorta...

16 minutes ago, Tooljunkie said:

thank goodness the pigeons have moved on-sorta...

You're kidding yourself, they are  hanging out around the corner getting ready to flock back in.  :D

Time to get started on the garden again and attempt to bird proof it.

Stihl is good quality. I bought a electric stihl weed eater at a estate sale for $5. That thing has all the power I would need out of a gas powered weed eater.

To be honest, I never heard of a stihl pressure washer .... and anything "new stihl" is probably out of my price range.

Obvious issue with a electric weed eater is dragging around 150' of cord .... a pressure washer would not be so bad.

I have started my composting/manure mixing and the aeration of my 50 garden buckets....I have 22 complete and picked the remaining material for to finish the remaining 28.  Thanks goodness I have no sky-rats in my area.  The buckets have proved to work out great against furry munchers and diggers and give me optimum use of my water.   Won't be that very much longer till panting will be upon us.  

I bought a used pressure washer on an auction some years back now.  The pump that was on it was bad, they said, and there was a new one in the box, not installed.  I ordered a new wand and nozzles (none came with it), and mounted the pump.  I read up on it, and they not to run it w/o water going through it, as it will get too hot.  So I'm pretty protective of it, always keep the nozzle off & the lever depressed until I get it running, and ready to use, then stop the water momentarily while I shove in the nozzle.  Mine's a 7 horse gas powered.  (I know that talking about using gasoline with alcohol in it vs the "recreational" gas is almost like talking politics, but I only use the pure stuff.  Pay a good bit more, but I haven't had issues with my small engines and 2-cycle stuff since I stopped using the gas from the regular pump.)

The north side of our house never gets any sun, and the vinyl siding gets covered with green moss or algae.  And fly spots.  I basically power wash it every Spring.  The back of the house is really shaded, so the vinyl deck gets black, the patio and the drive too.  So we use ours a fair bit every Spring & Summer.  I have occasionally washed off the car with it while I have it out for this other stuff, but don't get it out just for the car.  

I currently rent a place that has a basement for my business, so I put in in there during the Winter, so it won't freeze.  I'll be letting that place go in the not too distant future, which means I'll have to make sure I always get all of the water out before each winter.  Can you just blow it out with an air compressor?  

I picked up a small electric one out of a neighbor's trash a while back, but haven't tested it yet, to see if I can get it going.  Would be nice to have an electric one I could quickly set up to wash off the cars, especially in the winter.  Now lately I've been going through the car wash off and on - my work car is really filthy right now - need to do it again as soon as it warms up a bit.

5 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Obvious issue with a electric weed eater is dragging around 150' of cord .... a pressure washer would not be so bad.

I  have the power washer below and it works well, also an extendable pole saw, extendable and standard hedge trimmers, and weed-eaters for the yard work. Use one of those 2wheel dollies you can lay back and use as a 4 wheel cart that I put a piece of plywood on to carry a gas generator and these tools around the yard with a short cord instead of trying to use a couple 100' cords. I bought the 3500 generator for back-up power and figured I would put it to use so started switching over to electric tools.  

As for the pressure washer, don't use it much but it does what i need when I do. Also tucks away nicely into it's original box that is ~20"x10"x12" for storage on a shelf.  It was passed on to me and I didn't have high expectations but was surprised at how well it works. 

Pressure Washer.jpg

Think stihl has had power washers for some time. Comes with a tip with a ball bearing in it, like a single point jet that moves in a circle. Blasts away dirt nicely. I dont even know the psi,but its enough. 
the flying rats are creatures of habit,and if i see one hanging around i first ask it nicely to leave. Then i use deadly force to take care of it. I have a fox that patrols the yard, and it knows to look for pigeons. The one fall it got 20 some over the course if a week.

14 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

Can you just blow it out with an air compressor?  

I would think so, just like a sprinkler system, blow it out for the winter ... Would it really get it out of the pump? not positive. Could also use some rv antifreeze just fill it with that to prevent freezing.

Yeah storage will be a issue for me also. Why I really wanted to find a used one. For now will sit in the back yard with a tarp over it.

Thats fine, it will encourage me to get my storage shed built, I bought the metal a few years ago and been slouching on the framing.

3 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I would think so, just like a sprinkler system, blow it out for the winter ... Would it really get it out of the pump? not positive. Could also use some rv antifreeze just fill it with that to prevent freezing.

Yeah storage will be a issue for me also. Why I really wanted to find a used one. For now will sit in the back yard with a tarp over it.

Thats fine, it will encourage me to get my storage shed built, I bought the metal a few years ago and been slouching on the framing.

Thanks.  I see you are in west Texas, so maybe the high plains, in which case you might see colder temperatures than we get here in Ohio (especially if you are up in the Texas panhandle).  I'm just not sure how clear the pump needs to be to prevent damage in a hard freeze.  (I have a 10x14 storage shed, but mower, tiller, etc. kinda' fills it up, and it also isn't heated at all - and no electric in there, either.)