1950 Chrysler Windsor

Tim Larson

45 minutes ago, Worden18 said:

I hope that you can bring it home. It's beautiful!

I hope so too. The seller has even offered to haul it for us. The brakes aren't the best right now, but a lot of other mechanical work has been taken care of already. They're only asking $3950

Just now, tjlarson88 said:

I hope so too. The seller has even offered to haul it for us. The brakes aren't the best right now, but a lot of other mechanical work has been taken care of already. They're only asking $3950

I've about decided these old brakes are never "the best".....  :)

Enjoy your new ride, it looks great!

• Like 1

The 12" brakes on a 1950 Chrysler done right especially with old asbestos shoe linings are great!

That is if you .....can...... do the job 100% right.

I have a few 1950 Chrysler's  that I've owned for 35 years or more..great brakes.

• Like 1

That’s a buy. Looks nice. Cheap easy way to get into a vintage car. Fluid drive I presume.   Brakes on all these old Mopars seems to be one of the most misunderstood maintenance items among common owners.  You found the right spot here to get help in how to address the brakes. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

The 12" brakes on a 1950 Chrysler done right especially with old asbestos shoe linings are great!

That is if you .....can...... do the job 100% right.

I have a few 1950 Chrysler's  that I've owned for 35 years or more..great brakes.

I agree about the brakes.  I had the brakes done on my 1950 Plymouth about five years or 3000 +/- miles ago - new wheel cylinders, new linings, new Dot5 fluid etc. - and they’ve been great, even in a panic stop situation (thank goodness it’s only happened once).  They’re about due for a checkup (as is the whole car) but they’ve given me no trouble whatsoever and I have always felt safe using the stock, original brake system.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

That’s a buy. Looks nice. Cheap easy way to get into a vintage car. Fluid drive I presume.   Brakes on all these old Mopars seems to be one of the most misunderstood maintenance items among common owners.  You found the right spot here to get help in how to address the brakes. 

Your long thread of information is what intrigues me about the Chryslers of this era. I have never drive a fluid drive car so I hope we bring it home tomorrow! This Chrysler does have fluid drive.

Edited by tjlarson88

It's most always the low line "Royal" Chrysler models that have no radio.

Evidently the new owner didn't want a radio in the Windsor.

Most all 1950 Windsor's  I've seen always have a radio. They usually never work though. Not a reliable radio set compared to the 1946-48 radio's. 

Would it have had this same radio as in my '53? These are interesting units. The head unit or "deck" part of the radio is separate and independent from the electonics for the speaker. The speaker has its own amplifier circuit and tubes. It's all tucked away in behind the speaker. The clock sits in between the two radio systems, separating them.

lMTivM0i4XhrXfnrezkEDvpZVT8sM0UObu-chiwD

11 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

It's most always the low line "Royal" Chrysler models that have no radio.

Evidently the new owner didn't want a radio in the Windsor.

Most all 1950 Windsor's  I've seen always have a radio. They usually never work though. Not a reliable radio set compared to the 1946-48 radio's. 

Yes this is true. It most likely was ordered without a radio. My '49 Windsor had a radio and in the seven years that I owned it, I had more trouble with that radio than anything else on the car.?

10 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Would it have had this same radio as in my '53? These are interesting units. The head unit or "deck" part of the radio is separate and independent from the electonics for the speaker. The speaker has its own amplifier circuit and tubes. It's all tucked away in behind the speaker. The clock sits in between the two radio systems, separating them.

lMTivM0i4XhrXfnrezkEDvpZVT8sM0UObu-chiwD

Based on a youtube video they looked like this. 

Radio.JPG

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately that’s how things go sometimes. Best not to rush in, due to a wave of excitement. You’ve got good will power. 

What sorts of things did you find with the car that were not ideal? 

8 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately that’s how things go sometimes. Best not to rush in, due to a wave of excitement. You’ve got good will power. 

What sorts of things did you find with the car that were not ideal? 

For most probably nothing major, but to get it road worthy it would need brakes for sure - they were nonexistent - the pedal goes to the floor. I would want to repair the exhaust - the tailpipe from the muffler was not present that I could see and the car was a little louder when running that my cars. New radiator hoses - I know, not major. Rocker panels are rusted pretty good on both sides under the trim and would need to be replaced. Since I couldn't actually take it for a drive that was concerning, plus it apparently had been sitting for 30 years. A lot of basic repairs have been done recently to get it to actually run so that will be a plus for the buyer. It has new tires on it, as well. The engine did start easily and purred quietly. 

Overall it is probably a great project for someone that wants a classic car. Probably not a lot needed to get it road worthy, but since I just bought a Plymouth in June and already have a decent amount invested in that car I can't justify buying this one right now....

• Like 1

The best part of going to look at this Chrysler was that I got to drive my neighbors '49 Special Deluxe for three hours on the round trip! That car truly does running like a sewing machine! So quiet and peppy. Just love driving that car even though it has cosmetic flaws. My '49 seems to be much louder at 55. Maybe his has a different rear end or mine has an exhaust leak. 

13 minutes ago, tjlarson88 said:

The best part of going to look at this Chrysler was that I got to drive my neighbors '49 Special Deluxe for three hours on the round trip! That car truly does running like a sewing machine! So quiet and peppy. Just love driving that car even though it has cosmetic flaws. My '49 seems to be much louder at 55. Maybe his has a different rear end or mine has an exhaust leak. 

Put your hand down near the junction between the intake and exhaust manifold while the car is idling.....bet you will find that gasket is blown out and the exhaust is put-putting....   :)

The gasket is gone in my '48 P15 but until I get around to pulling the manifolds (ughhhhh) I made a steel plate that slides into that gap in between the (broken off) bolts and stops most of the leak. The carb heater flap is wedged closed by the plate.

manifold.jpg.b719d49f2e3fd792e4bbbaf9945a4719.jpg

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1