1947 deluxe 218 flathead firing order!

Matt Canter

As Greg G stated set #1 piston to Top-dead-center on the compression stroke.

Remove distributor cap and see where the tip of the rotor is. Take a piece of tape and mark where the tip of the rotor is on the outside of the distributor body. It should be around 7 o'clock.

Put the distributor cap back on and the #1 spark plug wire goes into the cap where you marked with the tape.

Then, moving clockwise (I think. Please someone correct me if I am wrong) from #1 the firing order is 153624.

If the number one firing position is not near 7 o'clock on the rotor (or 1 o clock) then the oil pump may need to be removed and re installed according to specs.

That is, slot lined up with bolt holes  then gear turned one tooth counter clockwise and re installed in engine at #1 TDC

However, # 1 can be any position on the cap if other conditions are met,  so if someone has not installed the oil pump correctly, you can rearrange the distributor wires to suit.

Everybody above is correct, #1 on tdc.

Because we have the inspection plug on #6, I just found it easier to pull the pipe plug, rotate engine by hand, when compression came out of the small pipe plug hole, I then used a wire through the hole and rotated engine til 6 was tdc. Then installed my wires starting with #6

This is backwards from what we are taught, I just thought the lil pipe plug hole was handy and took advantage of it.

Also add that my #1 ended up in the 6 0'clock position, meaning the oil pump is not installed right, but works fine.

Edited by Los_Control
  • Like 1