three pont seat belt mounts

RazburyPly48

Ok , newby to the site but not to the hobby. I have a '48 Plymouth coupe. It's not your grandpa's car anymore and has bee modified with newer brakes , engine, trans etc. I would like to use three point seatbelts. I went through the search function but didn't mush useful. So anybody on here have something I can use?

Razbury-see some ideas-

On this blog/webpage this forum member documents his method-

http://www.oldwillysforum.com/Plymouth/08-uai/uai.html

A company that sells has some more ideas from how they did their own products-

https://www.julianos.com/Articles.asp?ID=143

Not too hard, just take your time!

Good luck with your project.

DJ

I wonder why the links are not working for you.?? I just tried both and were working fine.

Are you on a PC or phone? I hear that can be a problem with phones at times. I just recently go a simi literate phone but I have yet to try the internet hookup, probably take me a week or two and loss or some hair but I'll get the hang of it! ?

DJ

Has anyone solved the problem of where to put the shoulder belt retractor in a P15 4-door? That pillar is really skinny and I haven't figured out a way to mount the retractor so it doesn't protrude into the rear door entry.

I dunno if these help at all but I mounted the front retractable 3 point belts with the retract mechanism at the bottom of the pillar and the top via a plate with a 7/16th nut welded to it then  lowered into the pillar, pop riveted against the pillar then the upper 7/16th bolt screwed thru the pillar into said nut.....the inner belt locking piece comes up between the seat and console, the lower two, inner and outer bolts have mounting plates under the floor........have worked fine for the past 40 odd years......belts were new aftermarket sets..........andyd   

P1010266.JPG

P1000816 (800x600).jpg

P1010278.JPG

Here's a floor-mounted seat belt retractor. 

I had to cut back the rubber sill for the rear door, to anchor the retractor to the floor. 

The belt covered the hand grip and coach light, so I made a steel bar extender for the top mount.  Not ideal. 

I could have located the retractor forward of the B post, if I had thought of it, but that would interfere with the seldom-used feature of getting to the back seat from the front door. like a coupe.  (The post-war DeSoto Suburbans had coupe-style front and middle seats. )   

1739016270_seatbeltrtfrontlater.JPG.f199046706daca37363007e8621f95c3.JPG

I haven't looked into it deeply yet to see if it is going to be possible, but what I'm thinking of doing is to rework, replace, or beef up  the stock seat mounts, slides, and side & back structural members, then mount the retractor into the side of the seat below the cushion, and fasten the seatbelts themselves to the reinforced seat back cross bar, instead of running them through the seat back and down to the floor behind the foot rest on the back of the front seat.  If it is not possible to put the retractor into the side of the seat, I will try to find seatbelts like what was in my 72 Dodge Coronet, the type that had an adjustable shoulder belt that clipped onto the main belt separately (and had no retractor).  (Or just settle for lap belts.  That's what I figured to do back in 1980 when I got the car, when shoulder belts were kind of a new thing.)
(I also thought of building a box under the floor, and mounting the retractor there, with the belt going through a slot in the floor, but that is major work, and I already rebuilt the floor when I first got the car.)

Edit to add after thought:  Has anyone ever considered mounting a narrow retractor inside the B pillar, with a steel cable that connects to the seat belt?  Crazy idea, I suppose.

Edited by Eneto-55