Manual for a 1951 coronet

Hi.  I'm new to both posting on forums and working on flathead.  I'm a shade tree mechanic but got something to tinker with when I retire.  I just bought a 51 Coronet with a siezed 230.  # 6 was full of corrosion and has a hole in the top of the piston.  Could it have just rusted thru?  What would be the best manual to pick up for this project? Thanks for your time. 

look to e-bay as one source for a reproduction of the factory manual....this will give you some very decent information on the engine and other sections that make up the car.  I also suggest if you can source one to grab a Motors Manual of the era....they supplement the factory book well.....

link to e-bay...couple to choose from....pick your poison and if not buying here...at least  you can see a pic of what you need to have your eyes open for...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1951+dodge+service+manual&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=1962+dodge+dart+trim+-fits

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

if you have a couple buds with weak minds and strong backs...I suggest removal of the doghouse just for the sheer simplicity and ease of moving in and about while working the engine.....

oh yeah, glad you found a manual......read it a couple times before tearing into some thing, keep it handy for guidance and quick reference......understanding how a system works or interacts with the car as a whole is the first step.....can't say it often enough, to make it work you first got to know how it works....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

It’s more work removing the front fenders and rad support but once done it makes any other mechanical work easier. Plus you might find other stuff wrong when you remove the front sheet metal. Doubtful the piston could have rusted through, I believe they are aluminum (could still corrode).

Keep is up to date on what you find.