Muffler for a 48 Chrysler New Yorker - 8 cyl.

48 New Yorker

I'm trying to find a stock type oem muffler to replace the one on my 48 Chrysler New Yorker 8 cylinder (which I believe, is longer than the 6 cyl model).  That would be the larger front one, as they came with a front and rear (mine only has the front).   I want to replace it with a quiet oem type, no Flowmasters, Smitty's etc.... When I say oem type, I don't mean an actual NOS oem; I mean a new muffler in the oem style.

If anyone has a older cross reference guide, could you post it on line?   My current muffler has the following markings on it, but no brand name:  T 777 and W 757 659. I've searched the web with those numbers, but nothing comes up.

Thanks,

David in Santa Cruz  

Below are the specs for my muffler, the dimensions are approximate:

total length 38"

body length 34"

circumference 19 1/8"

cross section 8

inlet num + location =   1 center

outlet num + location = 1 Rt. side

inlet pipe diam 2.38  (outside measurements)

outlet pip diam 2.18         "                      "

muffler shape oval

Hi John:

Yes the 41 Buick is a maroon 2 door sedanette (fastback) that I purchased about 15 years ago from a guy in Chicago.  It was owned by a "little old lady" who put about 20k mi on it. She sold it back to the original dealership in '57 when she could no longer drive.  The owner of the dealership kept it in his collection until the mid 90's and stipulated in his will that sales manager's son should be given the first shot to buy it from the estate. 

The son who worked at the dealership part time as a youth, first asked to buy it......in 1957.  Patience rewarded.

Thanks Dave for your response. I do know that from reading various posts on here, those 8 cylinder Chrysler parts can be hard to come up with sometimes.. I have found items on ebay that I was shocked were available. I would keep watching there if you are unable to score a muffler from the places listed. Good luck to you.

John R

1946-48 C39 Chrysler New Yorker  Sedan and Coupe....Muffler specs                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

C39 Muffler Cpe Sedan.JPG