Dual Master Is Safer?

Dennis Detweiler

Yes, dual master is safer.  To answer your question, nothing.  I replaced my leaky single reservoir master cylinder with another one.  I started down the road and had no brakes, pulled into a parking lot and called my wife to bring me some brake fluid.  I have an emergency brake that works, so I was able to stop.  I also replaced the rubber lines.  As long as you check your fluid regularly you should be OK.  Usually if it leaks, its slow.  If you have a puddle, then it's fast.

Edited by dhrandy

while the dual reservoir master is safer it is not an end all to brake problems when used alone.   You should install a combination valve...(differential valve)...this device will serve as hold off on the front while the rear engages then allow front pressure and equalization....if a line fails from there the pressure of the other side will force a piston to close flow to the fault side and allow the built in electrical switch now go to ground and illuminate a warning light placed on the dash....in disc front, rear drum...the average joe will not know he has a rear problem till he sees a puddle...or in the case of most late model dual piston masters but single fed reservoir...loss of fluid and the eventual reduction of force applied to the front...all this time however...you have been ignoring that little red light on the dash...so even with this...many people just don't maintain as they should..

An e-brake properly maintained, regular monitoring of brake fluid, low gear hold back, and multiple planned possible emergency crash routes, allow me to drive down a steep winding hill every time I take my old car out.  I’m still running the stock single chamber master cylinder. I adjust my brakes. I pull my 4 drums probably 4 times minimum, every cruising season. 

Do I need a dual master? It might offer more reassurance. Maybe some day. For now I’m comfortable and feel that my brakes are adequate. 

Edited by keithb7

Not a warm cozy safe feeling when a dual MC reservoir system fails:eek:

• Thanks 1