1946 dodge mail truck

woytovich

Newbie here... I've rebuilt old Toyota Land Cruisers but this is my first foray into vintage Dodge trucks. I'm hoping to get some perspective on this mail truck. 

Are they interesting in the community? (i think it is awesome)

Are there gotchas to watch out for?

What price range would be considered normal? (i am looking at it tomorrow)

Any other input would be welcome.

Truck is not running although the PO said it tried to start a few years ago with a battery & fresh gas down the carb.

Rust is said to be minimal. (we shall see)

Are these "worth" trying to keep stock or is it more normal to swap in a more modern drivetrain? (if so what is considered the "right" option, if there is any kind of consensus)

Thanks all,

Mark

00R0R_5VQgVGWjRhm_600x450.jpg

00U0U_jqf9xzM2oi6_600x450.jpg

00X0X_fUqP9cFdgl3_600x450.jpg

00O0O_6mDnJjMkEsU_600x450.jpg

• Like 4

I would snatch that thing up in a second.  They are somewhat rare, and there always seems to be a lot of interest in them because it's not something you see often.  If it was me I would make it mechanically sound and leave the patina as is. Some other guys here would completely restore it and put a more modern drivetrain in it like a 318 and a torqueflite transmission.  It's all a matter of what you like. I hope that you bring it home and take more pictures of it for us!

That thing is serious. Looks like 1-1/2T chassis with those fender flares.

Keep in mind - anything wrong or missing from that body - you'll have to make or have fabricated.

Engine parts for it are plentiful. Grill bars can be spendy (can't see them well in the photo).

Just guessing on price $1500-$4000. Too many variables up to and including someone wanting to buy it. Its a rare bird that is for sure.

Here is the slightly junior version.  I would imagine these were post office to post office trucks rather than door to door delivery vehicles.  Maybe PO to train station or airport.

https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-week-1951-dodge-1-ton-mail-truck

There is an older thread on this web sight featuring several different Dodge trucks designed for PO use.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

What would you all think the towing capacity of this thing would be with stock drive train and brakes... I know that upgrading the brakes would probably be essential, which might necessitate an axle swap (down the rabbit hole we go!)

(If anyone is really interested in buying this hit me up via email at mark@woytovich.com, I would be happy to see this saved by someone that cares.)

seems like you could find a cheap dodge motorhome maybe a chebby even .... around here I see them for a few hundred dollars, even free sometimes.

Would make a perfect donor.  They often have low miles on them, fuel & brake systems is shot from sitting all the time.

Probably end up being a frame swap, shorten the frame to fit the dodge wheel base. Be a lot of work, but a cool one of a kind rig when finished.

Would have the rv parts to help the conversion, sell the original drive train/frame to help on cost.

Makes my brain hurt trying to imagine how to lift the dodge body off the frame ... would be nice to have a buddy with a big fork lift  :D     

As someone said above, it may be difficult to find the right person to restore it as is.

Many would have interest in it.

Not many have the finances for it.

needs to be in a reasonable distance, having that rig delivered cross country would not be cheap.

Most people with the money, interest .... probably have 10 projects in line after they finish the one they are working on.

Not impossible though, might find someone.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

I agree.

I love it to, sometimes you just need to be practical.

What value would it have as a restored driver?

How much will it cost to get it to that state?

What would you do with it then?, trailer it to shows?

As a driver in original condition, I am guessing it would do 50 mph on the highway .... I think I am be generous with that guestimate.

The front brakes would not be adequate for a rear end swap for highway friendly gears.

This is why rat rods were born, love them or hate them, keeps the old iron from the scrap yard.

This old mail truck is about one step away from the scrap yard.

I imagine the current owner has had it for years, now realizes he may never get to it .... If he dies, kids come in and scrap everything. They have no interest in fixing it.

Total fiction, but is a fact of life and watching my cousins do the exact same thing once my Uncle died.

Done properly, It all gets saved. And the new truck is now useful.

69455471_10157410340323798_7866798425910542336_n.jpg

See thats my point ... you asked if others were interested in it, to message you for info.

I am tempted to do so, you know those grill bars in stainless in decent shape sell for $600 + . Restored there is a guy on ebay that sells for $1100

I imagine it has a 25" block, some had dual carbs factory on them .... have you looked at it yet?

Front fenders, doors etc should be easy enough to find if needed ... the body I imagine is mostly flat and easy to fabricate patch panels. All flat glass and available. Rear doors would be a challenge if they need a lot of work. But you can do it.

woytovich  you are the chosen one  ;)

36 minutes ago, woytovich said:

I have not seen it yet. I'll post up pictures.

Just pointing out, no idea what the seller thinks it is worth. Just have a clear head when you do look at it. Yes it is rare, does that make it valuable?

That also makes it more rare for a proper buyer to come along and snatch it up as a dream vehicle.  The one they been looking for all their life!

I bet a guy could put $20k in it restoring it back to original, then have a hard time selling it for $10k later.

Look at it with a clear eye, then make a offer. Find out why the guy is selling it. May be possible, you are the only guy to bother to come look at it and make a offer.

I personally have given away better rides on H.A.M.B just to keep them out of the scrap yard. And to keep my Cousins from scrapping them.

You can make a determination on value, I bet the stainless steel grill bars in good repairable condition advertised here would sell in a couple days. If priced right.

If the motor turns free, does not mean it runs, but maybe a couple hundred for the motor/trans.

The rest of it, springs , brake shoes and drums, brackets and tie rods ... all small dollar parts ... buy a complete 2 ton in the field for $500 or less.

I paid $1800 for my 1/2 ton pickup, was worth it to me and not going to squabble about a few dollars. I will not low ball a seller on a fair price.

I would offer  way less on that mail van.  Unless you do restomod it, nothing really there to be of value except a museum piece.

And a good chance nobody else gives a serious offer.

Thats my advice, yeah it is cool ... but it is not worth that much on the open market. If there is some good parts on it, and offer a price for what you can sell the parts for.

And your wife is welcome to whack me over the head, next time we meet up at a rally.  :P

• Like 1

Here is a example, I think a 1/2 ton does create more interest.

I personally think this guy is a bit over board on price. Just posted today, so not like we cant find these deals if looking.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/426325201567801/

image.png.96ad5f996d8a214ba5ca5f916a23cff1.png

I bet there is no front wheel because the brake drum is froze and wont turn to load.

You can see the rust in the body ... just work to create and replace. The hood is not shut right, going to need a lot of work .... someone may actually give him his price for a 1/2 ton van.

But for a 1.5 ton truck, like the mail van, just no body is searching and wants to spend thousands of dollars restoring it.

This thing wont do what you want, will probably sell for a cheaper price ... just saying if you look it is not hard to find projects.

Goal is to keep them from the scrap yard, and that mail van already has 1 leg in the grave.

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

Just pointing out, no idea what the seller thinks it is worth. Just have a clear head when you do look at it. Yes it is rare, does that make it valuable?

That also makes it more rare for a proper buyer to come along and snatch it up as a dream vehicle.  The one they been looking for all their life!

I bet a guy could put $20k in it restoring it back to original, then have a hard time selling it for $10k later.

Look at it with a clear eye, then make a offer. Find out why the guy is selling it. May be possible, you are the only guy to bother to come look at it and make a offer.

I personally have given away better rides on H.A.M.B just to keep them out of the scrap yard. And to keep my Cousins from scrapping them.

You can make a determination on value, I bet the stainless steel grill bars in good repairable condition advertised here would sell in a couple days. If priced right.

If the motor turns free, does not mean it runs, but maybe a couple hundred for the motor/trans.

The rest of it, springs , brake shoes and drums, brackets and tie rods ... all small dollar parts ... buy a complete 2 ton in the field for $500 or less.

I paid $1800 for my 1/2 ton pickup, was worth it to me and not going to squabble about a few dollars. I will not low ball a seller on a fair price.

I would offer  way less on that mail van.  Unless you do restomod it, nothing really there to be of value except a museum piece.

And a good chance nobody else gives a serious offer.

Thats my advice, yeah it is cool ... but it is not worth that much on the open market. If there is some good parts on it, and offer a price for what you can sell the parts for.

And your wife is welcome to whack me over the head, next time we meet up at a rally.  :P

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

Here is a example, I think a 1/2 ton does create more interest.

I personally think this guy is a bit over board on price. Just posted today, so not like we cant find these deals if looking.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/426325201567801/

image.png.96ad5f996d8a214ba5ca5f916a23cff1.png

I bet there is no front wheel because the brake drum is froze and wont turn to load.

You can see the rust in the body ... just work to create and replace. The hood is not shut right, going to need a lot of work .... someone may actually give him his price for a 1/2 ton van.

But for a 1.5 ton truck, like the mail van, just no body is searching and wants to spend thousands of dollars restoring it.

This thing wont do what you want, will probably sell for a cheaper price ... just saying if you look it is not hard to find projects.

Goal is to keep them from the scrap yard, and that mail van already has 1 leg in the grave.

You make some very valid points!

I do like old vehicles stock but for these kinds of trucks/vans I respect your opinions. You supported them with well thought out and logical reasons.

See what am saying, if you offer $1k or less, you in the ball game.

They need to come down a whole bunch to even be included in the ball game.

Keep the phone # around, 6 months from now when they get no takers, they may call you.

Nobody wants that ******* sitting in their yard .... $600 is a risk.