fluid drive fluid level makes no sense

harmony

Even though my fluid drive shifts fine I thought since the car is new to me I'd better check the level. After about a couple dozen tries I finally got the filler/inspection bolt to line up with the inspection hole.  Once I unscrewed the bolt, the fluid started to flow out.  In one respect I was glad that I wasn't low on fluid.  But after about 2 seconds I realized it was still coming out strong so I put the bolt back in and started to think.  It didn't make any sense at all.  I pulled the bolt out again and after about 4 seconds I realized it wasn't about to stop flowing out anytime soon. Imagine taking the cap off a quart of oil and tipping it at 90 degrees. That's how steady it was coming out. glurp, glurp, glurp.  How is that possible????  The only way I can visualize filling the fluid drive up past that bolt hole opening is to tip the entire car on about a 45 degree angle so that hole would be at the highest level, then filling it to the top.  

I've read somewhere that there needs to be a certain percentage of air in that sealed coupler for the transmission to sense a proper pressure.  The air capacity in my coupler is obviously less than normal.  If my fluid drive wasn't shifting properly then I would suspect the overfull coupler would be the problem and just drain off until it stops coming out.  But since mine works fine, I can't help but think "if it ain't broke , don't fix it" .  I'd be upset if I drained off the extra oil and then it started to act up.   Either way I'm mystified at how it got overfull.   ???

Don't remove the FD filler plug while the engine and FD is still warm. Check it  cold.

Maybe someone filled the FD unit on the bench before installation??? Either way check it again when it's fully cooled down and let it drain down to the proper level. The air pocket it to allow for oil expansion when hot. There is no pressure sensing involved in the FD coupler.

1 hour ago, Merle Coggins said:

Maybe someone filled the FD unit on the bench before installation??? Either way check it again when it's fully cooled down and let it drain down to the proper level. The air pocket it to allow for oil expansion when hot. There is no pressure sensing involved in the FD coupler.

Could be. Or some kind of oil that expands ?

• Like 1