New here :-) 1947 Dodge Custom

Imperigal

Two years ago, I purchased this 1947 Dodge Custom. It's my first 40s car, but definitely not my first Mopar!  I only recently started working on it and am finding it adventurous to say the least. ?

The car sat for 30 years and the last owner fired it up to show it would run. It did, but I opted to leave it alone until I could invest more time and $.  Now I'm trying to get it started and am running into issues.  Motor moves freely, battery is new, fuel present at carb, but NO SPARK. 

I haven't even started investigating, but my first thought is the coil. Except for the fact that it looks fairly new. ?  On the fender wall, there is a voltage regulator, and two other fuse blocks (?) Or junctions.  No idea.  What I CAN tell you is that the original wiring is in place but the fabric covering has seen better days. I will start methodically ruling out one thing at a time and will keep my fingers crossed that it's not a matter of replacing all of the wiring!

I bought the manual for this car last year...and of course I can't find it.  I'm sure it holds many answers,  but in the meantime I'm grateful that this forum exists! Looking forward to getting it running ??‍♀️

Christine

received_370736483844347.jpeg

received_660599864423201.jpeg

• Like 3

Try filing the points a little to remove any corrosion that has probably built up with non use.  If that doesn't get spark the condenser is the next suspect.

Welcome to the forum and good luck !

Very nice looking Dodge.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reg Evans said:

Try filing the points a little to remove any corrosion that has probably built up with non use.  If that doesn't get spark the condenser is the next suspect.

Welcome to the forum and good luck !

Very nice looking Dodge.

Many years ago now, I bought an old car that hadn't been run for a long time, (years). The car wouldn't start... reason was simple , the points were not opening , a small adjustment and the engine fired right up. ?

• Like 2

Hello and welcome,

Your Dodge looks really nice. I had a '48 Dodge 4 door (not a Town Sedan like yours) and I really liked it. They are great dependable cars and a pleasure to drive. The Fluid Drive was especially nice in heavy traffic. Thanks for posting the pics.

John R

• Like 1

Have you done a compression check.  Valves tend to stick open open valves equal now or no compression, no compression, no start.   

Nice car by the way, TownSedans  are few and far between these days.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

UPDATE:   Replaced the points, condenser, and rotor yesterday, but still have to re-install distributor on car.  (Type IGS)  I noticed that the point gap was VERY large...certainly not the .020 it's supposed to be.  I couldn't course a cap locally, so i made sure to clean the contacts well.   I'm hoping that i at least get SOME spark now.   Of course, it's raining now....so that will have to wait until this afternoon!   

• Like 2

Something that crossed my mind the other day.

You did mention the wiring is not in great shape, is it possible the previous owner ran a jumper wire to the coil ... (hot wired it) just to demonstrate it runs?

I also did not read if you actually used a test light to see you have power going to the coil & distributor with the key turned on?

I just use a standard 12 volt test light on mine, not as bright with 6 volts, does the job.

Just saying, if you do not have power to the distributor, you wont get spark to the plugs.

Also be sure and check the short jumper wire in the distributor. The cloth insulation falls off and it can ground out. Perfect time to address it while out.

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum. Very nice car and you are making some members jealous with your curved radio faceplate and the fact it is a town sedan. We all are assuming that you know the difference between a regular 4-door sedan and a town sedan which is much more unusual. Always post lots of pictures please as we all love them.

Keep us posted on the starting issue. Very good advice from lots of members and especially in the previous post. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Thanks 1

Ok guys you have my attention. I have owned a 47 d24 sedan for 5 years and I honestly didn't know there was a "town " sedan. I do I tell which I have. Also in referasnce to the curved radio. I cant tell from his pictures, is the glass over the dial curved or are the buttons arched? Thanks

• Like 1

I would love to see a side-by-side breakdown of what distinguishes a Town Sedan from a regular Custom! As for the radio, I am not sure. I will take a closer look!  I'll be working on it all day tomorrow ?

10 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Something that crossed my mind the other day.

You did mention the wiring is not in great shape, is it possible the previous owner ran a jumper wire to the coil ... (hot wired it) just to demonstrate it runs?

I also did not read if you actually used a test light to see you have power going to the coil & distributor with the key turned on?

I just use a standard 12 volt test light on mine, not as bright with 6 volts, does the job.

Just saying, if you do not have power to the distributor, you wont get spark to the plugs.

Also be sure and check the short jumper wire in the distributor. The cloth insulation falls off and it can ground out. Perfect time to address it while out.

I'll make sure I check the jumper wire, as well as the power to the coil. Couldn't find my tester light....and my electric tester/multimeter had a dead battery. Go figure. ?

On your ignition issue. Clean points. Turn dist till points are closed. Turn key on, used a  tool to open and closed points quickly, you should get a spark out of center plug wire coming out of coil(hold wire close to ground) should jump to ground. If not check primary voltage to coil from ign switch.

One quick way to identify the difference in the town sedan and the other sedan is the placement of the rear wing window. On the town sedan, it is located in the back doors as is the car pictured by Imperigal where the other and more common model had the rear wing window behind the rear door and separate from it as in to pic I posted. Plymouth also offered a town sedan but only for '42 and I believe some of the DeSoto's and Chrysler's did as well. Great cars, all of them.

John R

48 dodge.jpg

• Thanks 1

John, thanks for sharing that!!  Aside from the rear quarter window being incorporated in the door, are there other differences?  Is there more space for rear seat passengers? Were certain options part of that trim?  So cool to learn about ?

3 hours ago, Imperigal said:

Found this wire in poor shape and will replace. The other wire's covering appears intact. Grateful that I have all day to work on the car! Let the fun begin! ?

20190907_084509.jpg

Is that the condenser ground wire?