spark plug origin

harmony

I've read that a lot of you guys are using Autolite 306 spark plugs.  My 251 flathead has 295 plugs and although they look fine gap wise, I thought I would give the 306 a try to see if there was any difference.  I'm trying to get my car to not run so rich on start up and I thought maybe a hotter plug might make a difference.  But that's beside the point of this posting.  So I came across something interesting.  I went to the parts store to get them and as you know they come in a pack of 4 in a box.  So I got one box plus two more in their own separate individual boxes.  As I pulled them out I noticed that the 4 in the group box had a bright steel base, while the 2 separate plugs had a black steel base.  The boxes looked virtually identical except for one line on the box that said where they were made.  The bright steel ones were made in Mexico and the black steel ones were made in China.   I'm curious if there might be any difference in the performance of the plugs over time?

I just purchased on ebay a set of autolite 306 sparkplugs for 25 with fress shipping and they came from Andy Bernbuam and all 6 had the chrome base. 4 in pne box  and 2 is individual boes.  Look under 1935 - 1954  Chrysler desoto sparkplugs.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Good idea Greg.  The bright steel ones stick out like a sore thumb.  I had already installed them right away so returning them isn't an option.  But country of origin will be a good thing to watch out for next time I purchase plugs.

I had the same experience, they reordered and I got all the same. 306's are resistor plugs with a .035" gap. It won't run right, with the .028" gap, that the non-resistor 295 requires. I tried it. It didn't start as quickly, was the first thing I noticed. Your start up rich problem is probably related more to the choke operation. Pull the air filter and observe the action of the choke valve when the starter is energized. The choke valve should close. As the engine warms up, the choke valve should open gradually to the wide-open position. From the book, it tells you how to adjust it, too. I read in the Technical Tip's, I think, that a two pump on the throttle before starting cold, was a proper practice. It works for me. But I have manual choke and only partially use it.