46 Dodge deluxe distributor removal

Cdn97

It's a good idea to pull the plugs and turn the engine over to TopDeadCenter , with the rotor about 7 o'clock. Then, you can put it back in the same way. A 7/16" wrench should loosen the bolt in the lower left front of the distributor, holding it to the block. It's probably too built up with crud to see very well. But, that's  the bolt that holds the distributor in.

7 hours ago, 9 foot box said:

It's a good idea to pull the plugs and turn the engine over to TopDeadCenter , with the rotor about 7 o'clock.

I second this advice

The distributor is slotted, in theory it goes back in 2 ways, right or wrong. BUT.... It is driven off the oil pump. We have to assume the oil pump is installed as the manual instructs.

At least check your #1 plug wire location on the cap before you remove it.

When I installed mine, I just made a mental note on where the rotor was pointing when I pulled it .

Then installed the wires starting with #1 at 7 0'clock position.

I was 100% sure everything was just like the book said, but still would not run.

When I put it on TDC and checked it out, My #1 plug wire is in the 6 0'clock position, because someone did not get the oil pump installed as the manual describes.

Remove the 7/16" mounting bolt to the block....the distributor should be able to turn...if not the base of the distributor is frozen in the block...

Time to get a good penetrate at the distributor base to help it loosen up.

Chrysler Straight eights are notorious for this issue as little oil gets up to the distributor base. The dizzy is high up on the block.

Lube and careful tapping/rotating is all you can do.