Black underbody & trunk

Jakub

Hello;

I'm slowly moving forward with restoration of my 48 P-15 Convertible. I've just removed body from frame and put in on it''s side for some metal job. Just after that, I've noticed that areas that were protected against water, dust and other environmental factors, causing paint deterioration & rust are.. black. Techncal reference states that they should be gray, while in my car they are clearly black. Same story with inside of the boot, inside the body and remains of floor. I don't think that the whole body was pulled of the frame and repainted black. I've scratched the paint to uncover what's underneeth it - there is only steel.
Car is late 48 - it lacks the cross bar connecting the hinges under the bonnet. Car orignally was probably black. Was there a change during production run? Shortage of gray paint, substituted with black? Maybe someone has another example of car with black underbody? And, what colour should I paint it after sandblasting to be historically accurate? ?

69414371_398668784119137_4317166392815124480_n.jpg

69395743_677966119367423_6553303487269044224_n.jpg

69519948_493681917862182_3509569162273882112_n.jpg

the one panel that has a slight greenish tone look correct as that is ecosheen a mixture I can duplicate with black and green mixture of paint.....clean this real good ans see if you get a bit more green than black.....else...I have no answer for a car that age in the hands of a new owner....short version...PO PO PO  (PO is previous owner)

I've cleaned it with wet cloth - it's black, not green at all. (It may seem green on photograph, as white balance of camera in cell phone is not the best). Well, I know that the car is 70 years old, had many previous owners and was repainted 3 times (I've removed some paint  using sandpaper on the doors, wings and body - car was originally black, then repainted violet, then repainted red, and then again black) but there's nothing underneeth the black paint in boot or on the floor - just bare steel. And it's not likely that it was ever sandlasted (metal lacks the typical, sandlasting structure & car was never restored, just repainted). Also, I'm almost sure that I've never seen any gray - painted element during disassembly.   Next week I'll check another parts of body - like inside of cowl, under cardboard sound deadning, boot lid hinges etc. I'll try to polish them, to remove oxidation from the paint.

My under trunk is painted a battleship grey.  Don't think is been messed with!  The inside of the trunk has some sort of undercoating and black paint.  My body color is black.  There were some very deteriorated paperboard trim panels 0n the body sides infront of where the fenders attach. When I pulled them, there was under coat, red primer and bare metal behind them. I can get some pics if you like.

Edited by greg g

There is  list of colors on a Plymouth P15, apparently provided by the company.   Things that are gray are:   Under Body, Inside Floorpan, Underside of Hood, Underside of Trunk Lid, Front Stone Guards, Rear Stone Guards, Front Fender Center Panel, Grille Panel, All Fenders (inside), Inside Trunk Area, Trunk Hinges, Trunk Wheelwells (Trunk Side), Backside of Wheels.  

Black semi gloss:  Starter, Generator, Distributor Body, Wire Loom Holder, Coil Holder, Coil, Air Breather, Air Cleaner, Air Cleaner Steady brace, Breather Brace, Valve Chamber Vent and Tube, Fuel Pump Shield, Fan and Pulley, Oil Filter, Filter Brace, Steering Box, Entire Frame, Brake Master Cylinder, Brake Lines, Inner Front Fender Shields, Radiator Side Shields, Engine Dust Shields, Hood Lock Plate Brace, Horns and Bracket, Bumper Supports, Radiator Support, Radiator Cross Bar.

Silver:  Block, Oil Pan, Head, Water Pump, Oil Pump, Front Engine Mounts, Manifolds, Clutch Housing, Transmission, Oil Filler Tube, Dipstick Tube, Front Pulley, Thermostat Housing, Heater Bypass Hose.

Unpainted:  Fuel Pump, Carb, Fuel Lines, Oil and Vacuum Lines, Accelerator Linkage, Shift Rods.  

I wonder if practice may have varied from one factory to the next.  I'm going by memory of over 35 years ago, but I'm pretty sure my 46 was painted body color inside & out.  (I got it in 1980, and it had been painted 2 non-original colors by the time I got it, but not as restoration work, just back-yard jobs, like no trim removal, slopped over the edges of rubber, etc.

Edit:  I went out & looked inside the car, because we painted it before I decided to take out the interior.  It has original color overspray in some areas, but it was basically just red oxide primer.  Some areas inside the rear seat area might be a gray-blue color, but anyways something dark, not the exterior color.  Looking inside the trunk wouldn't tell me anything, because we painted pretty thoroughly in there, and I vatted the doors & trunk lid, as I recall. 

Edited by Eneto-55
adding later comment