vacamatic stuck

Royal Duke

Guys, I have a 1941 Chrysler Royal with the M4 Vacamatic. I've written previously about my car 'searching" for the higher shift in both the Power and Drive ranges. I am still having an issue with that, but my more immediate problem concerns the transmission locks up in reverse and will not roll even with the clutch depressed. A little history here:  I drove the car to Connecticut from Florida over two years ago.  I think I mistakenly pulled the cable for push starting the car WHILE driving.  So now, when I shift the car into reverse to move,  I absolutely have to shift it into neutral while still moving OR  I cannot move the shift lever. Also, upon startup, I hear a noise like a stick dragged across a picket fence  which disappears when I push in the clutch. Engaging the clutch causes the noise to occur again.  Any ideas as to what I may have done and hopefully how to resolve this problem? I would appreciate any help you can provide.  

I have the M4 in my '41 Windsor. The diaphram developed a leak a couple of years ago. I have been driving it with the direct gears as an 2 speed manual. I prefer the start in 2nd and shift to direct drive. Both have syncro.

The only draw back is if you load the gear by being on a slope or up against block in front you will need to drive a slight amount in that gear, to get the load off, and be able to shift to neutral.

I pull up to a board in my garage I just shift into neutral before the car drives up to it and I can select any shifter location. If I pull up against the board in gear the shifter will be locked( load through dif) in that position and I need to drive over it slightly to shift into neutral.

If you are having issues in reverse are you on a slope while in gear? Back up a bit to take the load off the differential which is locking up your trans, as you backing up shift into neutral and you should be able to sleect the gear you want.

As I said I have been driving this way over 2 years. Main draw back is I have to make sure I have room to drive through if I'm leaving the car in gear, example backing up a slope and leaving in reverse to hold car in position I would have to back up slightly before being able to shift into forward gear(or neutral).

Your noise you say disappears when you press in the clutch then say engaging causes noise to return. So is it always noisy when the clutch pedal is out? If so possible clutch release bearing?

Thank you for the suggestions.  I checked the diaphragm and it is in good condition. I was thinking the same thing regarding the clutch release bearing. I'm hoping I don't have to remove the tranny yet. I want to pursue all options before going to that extent.