air cleaner

dr47

i have installed dual carter b&b carbs  on my 51 i would like to install  air cleaner  with paper filters anyone know who makes a air clean that will fit on the b& b carbs. thanks

A friend has Harley Davidson after market air cleaners on his dual carbs.he did some tweaking to get the bases to fit the carbs.  I made my own from baking sheets and stainless sheet metal. A friend bought two oval filters and utilized the parts to make one that fits both carbs.  Depends on your skills and wallet.

I haven't purchased them yet - but it looks like Holley 1904 air cleaner adapters might be made to work on these B&B carbs - perhaps a longer bolt.  Then you have a wide selection of air cleaners to choose from.

I'm unsure if I am going to go the 1904 adapter - or take a pair of oil bath air cleaners and gut them and install paper elements in them for my pickup. I'm kind leaning toward the modded and gutted oil bath - with some windows cut in the sides and some stainless mesh wrapped around the inside. Might give a unique and clean look.

Just food for thought.

16 hours ago, HotRodTractor said:

I haven't purchased them yet - but it looks like Holley 1904 air cleaner adapters might be made to work on these B&B carbs - perhaps a longer bolt.  Then you have a wide selection of air cleaners to choose from.

I'm unsure if I am going to go the 1904 adapter - or take a pair of oil bath air cleaners and gut them and install paper elements in them for my pickup. I'm kind leaning toward the modded and gutted oil bath - with some windows cut in the sides and some stainless mesh wrapped around the inside. Might give a unique and clean look.

Just food for thought.

On my '40 wagon, there wasn't enough room for 2 stock oil bath air cleaners, so I contacted the local Crosley club, purchased two rusty but usable Crosley oil bath air cleaners, which to me look remarkably like the Dodge truck dual cleaners for the Pilothouse trucks, which are now as rare as hen's teeth). I cut the bottoms off 2 stock Plymouth oil bath cleaners and welded them onto the Crosleys as the openings were too small for the Carters. Works great, looks stock. I may possibly change them out to paper filters once I retire in a few months with my copious amounts of free time ?

IMG_2669.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, greg g said:

Spiffy repurposing Bob.  Those are cool!

Thanks,

I met the guy at a local car show from the Crosley Club that sold me the rusty ones I used- He thought they looked great on the Plymouth, but he said he hasn't seen any others come up on eBay, Craiglist, or through his Crosley channels since. I guess they must be as rare as the Dodge truck duals. Timing and luck again!

3 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

On my '40 wagon, there wasn't enough room for 2 stock oil bath air cleaners, so I contacted the local Crosley club, purchased two rusty but usable Crosley oil bath air cleaners, which to me look remarkably like the Dodge truck dual cleaners for the Pilothouse trucks, which are now as rare as hen's teeth). I cut the bottoms off 2 stock Plymouth oil bath cleaners and welded them onto the Crosleys as the openings were too small for the Carters. Works great, looks stock. I may possibly change them out to paper filters once I retire in a few months with my copious amounts of free time ?

IMG_2669.jpg

Very nice! I'm lucky enough to have the Dodge truck dual cleaners - everytime I start looking at air cleaners for the project - I keep coming back to simply just tweaking those and using them. I'm sure some purist would hate me for it.

My opinion on the 4" air cleaner is worth what you paid .

I had no air cleaner and needed something to keep the dirt out while I work on the truck.

West Texas gets pretty hot and dusty, and the red sand just gets everywhere. I bought one.

My issues are.

I found it strange that it fit fairly snug on the carb that came with my truck, On the rebuilt carb I bought, is a chrysler stamped carb, it is very sloppy fit.

The mounting option they give  you, hope you can see it in the photo, is a small set screw that just snugs up against the top of the carb.

I would not trust this to stay, without doing some mods .... a few ways to go.

Lastly, I do not think it has enough filtering capabilities for my dusty area.

All I used mine for, just set it on the carb to keep the dirt out while sitting in my driveway, I planned to just use the base and modify the mounting and then add/build a better cleaner on top of the base.

Then I found a stock air cleaner and now using it. I realize this wont work for the dual carbs.

Just saying, I am not in love with the 4" Mr Gasket air cleaner.

IMG_20190901_091115418.jpg.b7075d05b41dde1b8e0505581768997d.jpg

IMG_20190901_091143408.jpg

Like Los says...they better than nothing...I think both my riding lawn mowers have larger filters.....on a twin carb set  up LBC I modified a couple of these larger round lawn mower filters by melting the glue in the original steel lid/base of the LBC and installing these...took a small tweak to the original rubber molded base but they fit great....often one can look to different application and different engine to come up with suitable housings and filters....

little before and after retrofit....these are getting very expensive to replace...little time, 7.00 later....new filters...

IMG_2287.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

On 9/1/2019 at 3:52 PM, dr47 said:

thank's for the input i'm going to buy the 4 inch Mr. gasket cleaners until i can come up with some thing else .

I know you currently have dual Carter's (as do I), and I'm happy with the throttle response, and power at the high end, however, for my current build of my '52 Suburban, since I wasn't worried about a stock drivetrain, I decided to see if I could coax a few more hp from my 218, considering that I will be running A/C and AT (200R) so I decided to go with Tom Langdon's  Tom Langdon's Stovebolt  new 2BBL 32/36 carb (Weber clone) on the stock single intake. It uses a carb adapter, which he also sells.. I also purchased his split cast iron headers, which should help with the breathing. I'm also doing other things to reduce the parasitic losses, such as ditching the stock fan/pulley setup and going with an electric fan, etc.

Back to the topic of this thread- air cleaners. For $60, Tom  will take your old stock oil bath air cleaner, gut it, install a dry K&N type air filter, and cut out the bottom to accept the 23/36 carb. Looks slick and keep a low profile so you don't run into hood clearance issues.I will let everyone know how well it works.

IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7215.jpg

20 minutes ago, Bob Riding said:

I know you currently have dual Carter's (as do I), and I'm happy with the throttle response, and power at the high end, however, for my current build of my '52 Suburban, since I wasn't worried about a stock drivetrain, I decided to see if I could coax a few more hp from my 218, considering that I will be running A/C and AT (200R) so I decided to go with Tom Langdon's  Tom Langdon's Stovebolt  new 2BBL 32/36 carb (Weber clone) on the stock single intake. It uses a carb adapter, which he also sells.. I also purchased his split cast iron headers, which should help with the breathing. I'm also doing other things to reduce the parasitic losses, such as ditching the stock fan/pulley setup and going with an electric fan, etc.

Back to the topic of this thread- air cleaners. For $60, Tom  will take your old stock oil bath air cleaner, gut it, install a dry K&N type air filter, and cut out the bottom to accept the 23/36 carb. Looks slick and keep a low profile so you don't run into hood clearance issues.I will let everyone know how well it works.

IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7215.jpg

I can see you ditching the fan..but that stock pulley you going to need for the water pump and odds are...you may be using it for AC install also.....

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I can see you ditching the fan..but that stock pulley you going to need for the water pump and odds are...you may be using it for AC install also.....

Excellent point.  Can't electric driven a/c compressors compete with belt driven? I am relying on my brother-in-law who used to have a restore/modify.streetrod business and will look to him (and you) for guidance. Should be fun!

I know this thread is about air cleaners but I have a question for those who went the duel carb route. I installed an Offy duel intake manifold (on my 218 motor) and got the carbs from Stovebolt (motorcraft). I also deleted the mechanical fuel pump and have installed an electric pump. My question is for those who have done something similar- did you have to change the standard 5/16” fuel line? I have not but I also haven’t got the car running yet so I started thinking I may end up with a fuel starvation issue and wonder what the fixes may be other than changing the fuel line - higher psi pump?... but that may be putting the cart before the horse   Thanks and sorry to (briefly) change the subject 

Edited by JSabah

31 minutes ago, JSabah said:

I know this thread is about air cleaners but I have a question for those who went the duel carb route. I installed an Offy duel intake manifold (on my 218 motor) and got the carbs from Stovebolt (motorcraft). I also deleted the mechanical fuel pump and have installed an electric pump. My question is for those who have done something similar- did you have to change the standard 5/16” fuel line? I have not but I also haven’t got the car running yet so I started thinking I may end up with a fuel starvation issue and wonder what the fixes may be other than changing the fuel line - higher psi pump?... but that may be putting the cart before the horse   Thanks and sorry to (briefly) change the subject 

You won't have that problem with the low HP these engines produce even when turned up.

I don't have concrete numbers, but I would expect the 5/16 line to be good up to about 250hp give or take. If I was shooting for over 200hp - I would start thinking of going up to 3/8. I'm sure someone else probably has a different rule of thumb.

*This HP number is based on a low pressure carb setup - if you go to a higher pressure carb setup or the really high pressures of EFI - then that HP number can go way up.

Edited by HotRodTractor
More info

Thanks. I believe they originally had about 95 HP. With the mods I’ve done if I get 10%-15% more it would be good therefore I think I’ll be lucky to have 115 HP.... and I think they probably used to measure at the flywheel  not the rear wheels. I won’t worry about it for now.  Thanks ... now back to air cleaners ?

Edited by JSabah

• 4 months later...
On 9/6/2019 at 9:33 AM, Bob Riding said:

IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7215.jpg

How did the weber go? I'm interested in drivability, throttle response below 40mph

I am considering this option as well.