Pertronix back to points conversion

'50 B2C

Hi All,

I'm new to 6 volt systems and the guy I bought my 1950 b2c from had installed a pertronix 12 volt ignition in it. I want to convert back to points but cannot find any literature to do so. Is it as simple as buying an "ignition tune up kit" with just the points, condenser, cap, and rotor? Seeing as how I've never seen inside the distributor when it was stock I have no clue what may be missing. Any of you done this?

Edited by '50 B2C

It should just be the condensor and points that you need to put back into the distributor. And some basic wiring change.

Do you have pic of whats under the distributor cap presently?

Edited by maok

When I put Pertronix into my distributor I had to make a minor modification to the points plate to accommodate the ignition module. This means I can't go back to points in this one. I don't recall the exact modification but it involved removal of a certain mount point for the points. Because of this I went shopping on "The Old Dodge Parts Home Shopping Network", aka Ebay, and found a distributor with the same model number as mine for a good price. I modified this distributor, after confirming that it was in good condition, and kept my original with points as a "backup".

Pertronix 1362 Installation instructions

If you read the above linked PDF of the assembly instructions for the Pertronix ignitor it does appear that some modification is necessary as Merle pointed out.

Might be less painful to pick up a new distributor and do a tune up on it.

It depends on which model distributor you have as to what if any mods were made to install the Pertronix module. I know I had to remove a metal tab on the base plate of mine. Probably the same situation as on Merles truck.

Fwiw the Pertronix mod has been totally perfect on my truck. It always starts easily and runs great. And I actually use this truck every day. And have for the last 4 years.

One of the side maintenance related benefits of this mod is that the inside of the distributor cap stays nice and clean as opposed to what it will be like with the points back in there. Also the quality of a lot of the replacement points and condenser sets out there is very questionable.

Jeff

I have stated this before and it is straight from the Pertronix web site.....if you do not follow their recommendations for components....the ohm value that is the difference in components between their product/suggestion and your selection may just kill the device.  If you do not buy their coil etc etc...at least pay close attention to the ohm value they state to use to ensure long life.  Most everyone who has premature failure has gone this mismatch route and paid the price.   

We are getting a little off topic of the OP's quest for information to switch back to points.

To 50 B2C,

I'm curious why you wish to switch back to points. Does it not start and run well?

You state that the previous owner converted to 12 volt Pertronix, which would lead me to believe the truck has been converted to 12 volt negative ground. As such, were all of the necessary precautions taken with the Pertronix conversion? And keep in mind, if you switch back to points you will need to add a ballast resistor to the ignition circuit to protect your coil and points if you now have a 12 volt system.

I'd think that if a 12 volt Pertronix Ignitor was installed on a 6 volt system, it wouldn't even run....

I installed a 6 volt compatible Pertronix on mine with the stock 6V coil years ago and have never looked back to the days with points. 

The important step to take is to call their Tech line and have them give you the appropriate part number for your system, whether 6 or 12 volt, positive or negative ground. they make 'em all.

Thank you all for the replies attached is a picture of the inside of my distributor Maok. The main reason I want to go back to points is because the previous owner put the 12 volt ignition in but failed to convert over to 12 volt on the rest of the truck. Said he got it running by hooking up a 12v battery to the coil and started it with the 6v side. I was not aware of a 6v compatible pertronix unit, may I ask if you have a part # John-T-53?? Thanks for the original distributor picture Don

IMG_20190829_202709392.jpg

In that pic, it looks like the magnetic ring is missing that should be over the cam lobes. Or, if the module is a lobe sensing unit then its way too far away from the cam lobes.

Here is the site to search for the 6 volt model - pertronix site

1362P6 is the P/N for the 6 volt positive ground kit for an IAT-4011 distributor. This is what is in my B2C truck. Verify the number on your distributor tag before ordering a kit from Pertronix. If you have a different distributor number I would advise giving them a call to verify which kit you need. I was looking at their web site yesterday and couldn’t find my distributor number in their online search function. But if I searched by the kit part number that I used it came up. 

5 hours ago, maok said:

In that pic, it looks like the magnetic ring is missing that should be over the cam lobes. Or, if the module is a lobe sensing unit then its way too far away from the cam lobes

The rotor and magnetic ring were sitting on my fender at the time of this picture so I could get a better picture of the base

4 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

1362P6 is the P/N for the 6 volt positive ground kit for an IAT-4011 distributor. This is what is in my B2C truck. Verify the number on your distributor tag before ordering a kit from Pertronix. If you have a different distributor number I would advise giving them a call to verify which kit you need. I was looking at their web site yesterday and couldn’t find my distributor number in their online search function. But if I searched by the kit part number that I used it came up. 

Thank you, I will be out to the truck soon to get the distributor number. With the way parts houses are these days I am not surprised that it's a pain to look up the 6 volt version

Here is the complete installation instructions for the 1362P6 kit. It specifies a 1.5 ohm coil. I am using their 40011 Flamethrower coil and their 706190 universal 6 cyl. plug wires to be sure everything is matched. It’s all available through their web site and on Amazon. 

Now I’m starting to wonder if I should have used their 40111 epoxy filled coil as the installation on these vehicles has it somewhat upside down. I seem to remember reading recently that they recommend the epoxy filled one if it’s not mounted upright to avoid possible oil leakage. I haven’t had any issues with that, but may consider that upgrade one day. 

Merle

pertronix 1362p6.pdf

5 hours ago, '50 B2C said:

I see on pertronix website that I must run their 40000 volt flamethrower coil, they offer a 1.5 ohm and 3 ohm coil. Any way of knowing which one to go with?

My understanding is that you need total of 3 ohm primary coil resistance if 12 volts and total of 1.5 ohm primary coil resistance if 6 volts.

So if you have a ballast resistor then you need to allow for this in your choice of coil or by-pass the ballast.

10 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Here is the complete installation instructions for the 1362P6 kit. It specifies a 1.5 ohm coil. I am using their 40011 Flamethrower coil and their 706190 universal 6 cyl. plug wires to be sure everything is matched. It’s all available through their web site and on Amazon. 

Now I’m starting to wonder if I should have used their 40111 epoxy filled coil as the installation on these vehicles has it somewhat upside down. I seem to remember reading recently that they recommend the epoxy filled one if it’s not mounted upright to avoid possible oil leakage. I haven’t had any issues with that, but may consider that upgrade one day. 

Merle

pertronix 1362p6.pdf 200.57 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you Merle, this is exactly what I needed. I will stick the pertronix route with a 6 volt unit

6 hours ago, maok said:

My understanding is that you need total of 3 ohm primary coil resistance if 12 volts and total of 1.5 ohm primary coil resistance if 6 volts.

So if you have a ballast resistor then you need to allow for this in your choice of coil or by-pass the ballast.

Nice to know, Thank you Moak!

11 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

usually 1.5 is used with a dropping resistor...3.0 is used without and has an internal resistor   HOWEVER   for clear concise information and warranty purposes...ALWAYS call Pertronix direct....they are the builder, retailer and company warranting the products....

Thank you Plymouthy, I will make sure to call them to verify