1950 Plymouth Special Suburban production numbers

Tim Rogers

John Lee's Standard Catalog of Chrysler 1924 to 1990 has 34,457 1950 Suburbans built with the figure for Special Suburbans included in this total........methinks you maybe unable to get a specific figure...........nice car either way..........andyd 

Thanks for the feedback

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

to be honest I have to say that is the first time I have ever seen a special emblem on a Suburban....

I have perused the image sites on the internet and have not run across a single picture of one which is why I was curios about production numbers.

excellent, ...found this......

Sales of the all-metal Suburban station wagon continued to soar, despite grumbling from buyers that a more upscale model wasn't available. Realizing the potential for such a vehicle, a more upgraded version called the Special Suburban was added to the line. Identical in size to the standard Suburban, the Special Suburban had as standard equipment many items reserved for the P20 Special Deluxe cars, including armrests on both doors, assist straps and armrests in the rear compartment, glovebox lock, dual horns, horn ring, chrome radio grille, exterior belt line moldings, front bumper guards, chrome-plated tailgate hinges, and chrome rear window divider.

Special Suburban interiors were greatly upgraded, with rear sidewalls and wheel wells upholstered in pleated, brown, vinyl resin fabric. The headliner was done in brown checked woven fiber, with door panels in two tones of pleated brown vinyl and brown checked fabric. Like all P19 models, the Special Suburban rode on 6.40x15in tires. Unlike other P19s, the Suburbans were equipped with a front sway bar. Optional only on the Suburban were 6.00x18in wheels and tires. The Suburban wagons and Special Deluxe woody wagon shared a nine-leaf rear spring, compared to seven leaves on other P19 models and eight leaves on P20 Deluxe and Special Deluxe cars.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Maybe I'll add a "Special" script to my "52 Suburban project because it will be a hodgepodge of different features and looks. It will have a '51 front clip, stock  218 motor with shaved head, 2 bbl carb with stock oil bath air cleaner converted to paper filter, 200R automatic trans, '49 lift gate with divided glass, overdrive script on the tailgate (the 200R is an OD tranny), original wheels and dog dish wheel covers with Coker Radials and Scarebird front brakes, and various other enhancements. It's fun to color outside the lines, while trying to stay true to Chrysler's designer's vision.

IMG_6718.JPG

2 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

Maybe I'll add a "Special" script to my "52 Suburban project because it will be a hodgepodge of different features and looks. It will have a '51 front clip, stock  218 motor with shaved head, 2 bbl carb with stock oil bath air cleaner converted to paper filter, 200R automatic trans, '49 lift gate with divided glass, overdrive script on the tailgate (the 200R is an OD tranny), original wheels and dog dish wheel covers with Coker Radials and Scarebird front brakes, and various other enhancements. It's fun to color outside the lines, while trying to stay true to Chrysler's designer's vision.

IMG_6718.JPG

No......the 51/52 high line Suburban was a SAVOY.....it is a fun fact that Tim has been the first to call attention to the Special Suburban..in 49 the all steel wagon was introduced along side the woodie wagon, 1950 is the being the last year for the Woodie.  As the text I found denoted a cry for higher trim and more options the company responded with the Sepcial Suburban it seems in 1950.  The high trim continued in subsequent models but with the name Savoy for the high line Suburban 51/52.  The 53 year found a new body design for Plymouth wagons and in 54 it added a third trim level...there are still contradicting stories and the number of each model wagon produced this year.

2 hours ago, Silverdome said:

I don't see a door handle in this picture. Maybe this has been customized!

IT was! The gentleman who owned this was ahead of his time. He installed a push button for a solenoid for the door latch! The only flaw was he had to leave the wing window unlocked so you could reach in and turn the switch on under the dash. Another alteration was, he installed a 6 volt hydraulic unit in behind the right wheel well and ran 4 copper hydraulic lines and 4 cylinder the the tailgate and rear window and installed two pull handles to operate the window and tailgate from up front! This was all done in the 50's! The car has been parked since 1960. I bought it from his widow. 

Of all the 1949-54 Plymouths I have had a love of the Suburbans. Woodys are nice but just don't have the purportions of the Suburban (they were on the 118' wheel base). K.T. Keller I believe had a great idea when he made Chrysler cars with "chair height seats and enough head room you could wear your hat". As I get older I appreciate taller cars, they are easier to get in and out of. In retrospect some have called the Plymouth Suburban the first SUV. Certainly the SUVs are giving mere "cars" a run for their money in the market place now days. Some may recall the Suburban with the floor shifted 4speed and 18 inch wheels, (as seen on this site) now that was an SUV!

This thread made me to go over to my warehouse and "visit" my 52 Suburban. The rats have been using the front seat materials for nest making...but I planed to re-upholster it anyway. I found the original seats a little plain. Today I drug out a rear end from a 54 that had a PowerFlite transmission. It's a 3.73 ratio and coupled with the Overdrive transmission I just bought should get the highway RPMs down to modern standards. I know I guy who is putting an early Hemi in a DeSoto. He's promised me the engine so I might have enough cubic inches to pull that gear ratio. 

7 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

No......the 51/52 high line Suburban was a SAVOY.....it is a fun fact that Tim has been the first to call attention to the Special Suburban..in 49 the all steel wagon was introduced along side the woodie wagon, 1950 is the being the last year for the Woodie.  As the text I found denoted a cry for higher trim and more options the company responded with the Sepcial Suburban it seems in 1950.  The high trim continued in subsequent models but with the name Savoy for the high line Suburban 51/52.  The 53 year found a new body design for Plymouth wagons and in 54 it added a third trim level...there are still contradicting stories and the number of each model wagon produced this year.

Ok, Savoy. I like that too. Must be some Savoy scripts out there is eBayland...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 5:43 PM, Tim Rogers said:

Found another tidbit of info

Plymouth 1950 SpecialSuburban.jpg

Mine must be the Savoy as it has all of the chrome trim, armrests, assist straps, chrome tailgate hinges, etc. but for 1952. And I thought it was probably a Cambridge, because there was Cambridge script in the boxes of parts that came with it. Thanks for the cool brochure!

fullsizeoutput_b61.jpeg

if it was a Savoy odds are the Savoy scripts would be in the box …. but to my knowledge there is no easy way to break this down for a certainty....for certain you have a two door steel body wagon....and your hood emblems screams out 1951

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

if it was a Savoy odds are the Savoy scripts would be in the box …. but to my knowledge there is no easy way to break this down for a certainty....for certain you have a two door steel body wagon....and your hood emblems screams out 1951

That's because it is. Good eye! My '52 came with a '51 front clip. There was minor frame damage, so a '51 front end was substituted...hey- I have a hybrid!

On 9/10/2019 at 12:53 PM, Plymouthy Adams said:

tell me this….where does you wiring loom enter the body....on the firewall or on the left cowl behind the fender?????????????

Left Cowl...I never noticed that before. What does that tell you?