Giving Up !

dodgeguy

Life's changes have forced me to abandon our 47 D24 project 94 door).  We tried selling a few years ago as a running driving project with not much interest here in St. Louis in the old stock Dodge  stuff. Now having sold the power train and removed the front clip I just don't see any way to sell it. Had plans for a v8 and better brakes but all that has changed now. Wife wants me to part it out via EBay and Craigslist but it seems I have lost my "Mojo" on selling on these sites. Don't have room to store all the various parts. Any ideas or words of encouragement would be welcomed.

I hate to see a man throw in the towel but I also know that time, space and money are often very limited resources.  Selling a car apart is often a bit more involved in locating that one buyer needed.  If you are not open to a quick drop in of the V8, then I would suggest a bolt on of the clip so the car has the "attractive value" of being whole and complete and often that is needed as many cannot visualize a car apart as one compete unit in their eye when kicking tires.  Offering the intended v8 drive train as part of the package deal often is a plus.  If you do not install the doghouse back on the car...I am afraid many lookers will walk away.  Seems they do not mind taking it apart themselves...but to see if  off the frame...turn off....many walk on just that.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2019 at 7:15 PM, dodgeguy said:

Any ideas or words of encouragement would be welcomed

Im of the opinion that no one wants to fix someone else’s dreams so consider this. Put it back to stock. Fix one or two things every day, anything, just do something more. Once back to a driving stock car. Drive it! Let people see it.

Now look for a vintage trailer camp out, these folk move around, visit such and have the car nice and clean AND have photos of interesting places you’ve driven to, these photos prove dependability. Be patient, some vintage RV’R wants a dependable vintage tow car. 

Do this slowly, don’t get all tensed up, and be patient. The worst that will happen will be that you are having fun visiting interesting places in a vintage car. Not really a bad life. 

JMHO

Wish I had the space, I'm just a little south of St Louis. I'd put the front clip back on and sell it as a project on Marketplace. There's a big hot rod culture here in Missouri and surely someone would take it as a project, even without the original drive train. If I didn't have two project cars now I'd take it. 

Another route might be to call Clay and Sons in Catawissa, MO. They have an all vintage Mopar salvage yard and may take it off your hands.

I'm toying with the same thing. I've had a 40 Plymouth for many many years. Just took the drivetrain out abt a year ago. Had the block, crank, head machined. Now the damn city wants it gone by the end of Sept.  I've tried selling it years ago with all sorts of interest in it. All dreamers. No one ever showed up. I even tried giving the  thing away for free at one point to a guy who claimed it was his favorite vintage car. He "always wanted one". Another dreamer. Anyway I finally started working on it about a yr and a half ago. I'd like my son to take it but I don't want it to become his problem. I envy those who can pull off a real father/son project.  In this case I think the enthusiasm of my son would start to fall off after a month or so. I'd hear the complaining about how the car is in the way (he has a 4 car garage) and I'd be right back to square one. The city considers it a junk car. Apparently they refuse to realize that some people do work on old cars as a hobby and get some satisfaction from doing so.. I'm hoping for a miracle. Hope things work out in your favor as well. I feel your pain.

2 minutes ago, 40plyguy said:

I'm toying with the same thing. I've had a 40 Plymouth for many many years. Just took the drivetrain out abt a year ago. Had the block, crank, head machined. Now the damn city wants it gone by the end of Sept.  I've tried selling it years ago with all sorts of interest in it. All dreamers. No one ever showed up. I even tried giving the  thing away for free at one point to a guy who claimed it was his favorite vintage car. He "always wanted one". Another dreamer. Anyway I finally started working on it about a yr and a half ago. I'd like my son to take it but I don't want it to become his problem. I envy those who can pull off a real father/son project.  In this case I think the enthusiasm of my son would start to fall off after a month or so. I'd hear the complaining about how the car is in the way (he has a 4 car garage) and I'd be right back to square one. The city considers it a junk car. Apparently they refuse to realize that some people do work on old cars as a hobby and get some satisfaction from doing so.. I'm hoping for a miracle. Hope things work out in your favor as well. I feel your pain.

Would the city get off your back if you put a car cover on it or licensed it ?

I had a tarp over the car and apparently that's illegal. Had to take it off. It doesn't have a current license on it. I thought that putting a hobbyist license plate would take care of the issue. That won't do either. It has to be a fully functional vehicle. I have a utility trailer in front of the car. They will allow the trailer but it can't be tarpped or anything in it. I asked about putting up a Harbor Freight style portable garage. That's a big no-no. Seems kind of stupid, I can line the driveway with a boat, a camper and a utility trailer plus park mine and my wife's daily driver there with no problem.  The city considers the Plymouth a junk car. It's over 100 ft from the road and can hardly be seen when passing. I'm guessing some neighbor is complaining. Mind you this is no gated highly affluent gated community it's in solid blue collared Cudahy, Wisconsin!

I read on another forum somewhere where a fellow had an above ground pool in the back yard.  It leaked and needed the liner replaced. Instead he took down a wall put his car and an couple of motorcycles. Put a blue tarp over all and viola storage problem solved.

It'd be a  little expensive but if they allowed enclosed trailers, could store it inside. One good thing about enclosed trailers, they hold their value well, at least around here. I traveled 6 hours to buy directly from the manufacturer cheaper than I could have bought used. 

I didn't mention. No problems with the city. Stored inside my detached garage.  We have 3 old cars now, 2 running plus the dodge. Son is losing hi car storage space , so his hot rod coming here. I'm too old for all the added stress so going to get rid of a lot of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent an email to the fellow in Catawissa, MO.  I looked at pictures of his place and mainly saw 60s and 70s cars.  Did see one probably 54 Plymouth.  He confirmed those were the years he deals in and has nothing for a 47 Plymouth.    F Y I.    I see that Catawissa is a small place out in the countryside about 20 or so miles from St. Louis.  Live and learn.

Edited by BobT-47P15

Dodge guy, I’m in a serious down sizing program also. I have all the parts I need for my inventory of vehicles, so have setup an eBay  packing station. All usable parts will go on EBay and my shop will get a thorough clean out. My goal is to get a nice truck, which I have, a nice 53 coupe which I have and a car for my wife, all else will be sold. 

My wrenching days are over, just too strenuous at my age, so time to relax and enjoy what I have. The last decade has been a very enjoyable, educational decade. Today through this hobby I know people Coast to Coast and border to border. Some even across the ponds. So giving up may just mean moving on.

best to you. 

Paul

Edited by pflaming

At 71, I am down sizing also.     I just sold one of my 37s, the Coupe project, got lucky.    I still have a 37 four door project, and another 38 Coupe project, that needs to go.    I hope I can keep up with my 33 year project of my 38 Coupe....