6v help 41 plymouth coupe

ntxcustoms

Picked up my 41 plymouth deluxe, installed a disk brake kit, relocated shocks, and wired in a turn signal light switch. That's when i noticed that...

1. The previous owner changed to negative ground

2. The ammmeter stays very close to 0 and only goes up a tiny bit under accleration. If lights come on or i discharge the battery some the ammeter doesn't go up to show a charge to the battery. Also the ammeter needle rocks a bunch at idle and levels at 0 under mild acceleration

So i took the car out in the neighborhood and it died with a drained battery. I got a jump and made it back home. I polarized the generator at the regulator according to the writing on it. Momentarily jump arm to batt. Regulator says pos and negative ground. Volt meter says the regulator has good grounds. When running the batt terminal says 6.5volts under mild acceleration. 

I want to make sure that i don't get stuck out again so how do i test and where do i go for here? 

I have a plymouth manual but it mainly goes over bench testing and rebuilds, not driveway mechanics. 

Thanks in advance

With the engine off and the key in the run position, turn on the headlights.  What shows on the ammeter?  I believe a properly operating Genny should be putting out about 7.5 volts at mid range rpm 1200 to 1500 rpm.  With a fully charged and battery, after start up with only the engine running the regulator and generator should be just maintaning the charge.  Usually mine will show 2025 oamps for the first couple miles after initial  start up. Once the battery recovers from the starting draw, the gauge shows a charge of about 5 ampsw will bop about a bit with signals on but will just settle down at the r amp reading.

My book says, to check the regulator, connect a jumper wire from regulator base to field terminal at regulator. If this causes the ammeter to show a charge when engine speed is increased, install a new regulator. 

• Like 1

Check the generator output. If the brushes haven't been service in some time, they may be worn out. Could be all filthy inside. May be putting out no current. Check the "Batt" terminal of the regulator to see what the regulator is putting out to the battery. Would bet one of the two is in need of attention.You can get new regulators pretty easily. I'd be pretty suspicious of the change over to negative ground. Could be full of gremlins now. 

• 2 weeks later...