1949/50 P18 Rear window glass

49 Special Deluxe

Hi all
Is the rear window glass on a 49/50 plymouth special deluxe flat or curved glass?

Additionally I was wondering if anyone out there knows where i could possibly get a rear window for a 49/50 P18.

I have tried most of the vintage auto glass places, but they seem to only deal with flat glass.

Cheers

Edited by 49 Special Deluxe
info

It is curved glass, the only glass that is not flat in the car. Best bet is to go online and look for parts cars hopefully with glass available. They are likely out there. I see

you are in Australia so shipping from Canada or the US would be expensive. I'm not sure if the 51 and 52 Plymouths have the same window but something tells me they are different but I stand to be corrected.

Edited by RobertKB

as Robert says, shipping from the North America, and well even opposite coast of your continent is expensive and a risk to arriving alive.   I would not give up hope on locating one but at the same time, I think I would be looking to a skin graft and build that beautiful extremely rare, rear split window sedan.

The North American P18 sedans had a flat rear glass to my knowledge.   I believe that the Australian P18's were manufactured with Richards' bodies of local manufacture so the rear window may be unique to Australian-built cars.  Check flatness by holding a small ruler against the glass.  I'd visit glass shops in your area and see if they have catalog info going back that far.

the 49s have a curved glass but it is smaller than the 50.  51 and 2 are wider again.   Given that yours likely has an Australian body, the glass could be different again.

Seems like only you can prevent Forrest fires ....   sorry, old smokey the bear saying.

Butt, you need to determine if it is actually flat glass or not. The different choices between USA and across the pond make it impossible to guess.

If it is curved glass, I like PA advice to consider the body work to make it a split window flat glass.

Maybe also consider lexan glass.

Wont be cheap, but maybe might help .... something to think about. I watched some idiot on the internet form lexan in a heat booth to fit their windshield.

Plymouth 1949's curved..

Have you tried Jim Robinson in Victoria........I've forgotten....where are you in Oz.........also all Oz 1949/50 Dodge, Plymouth and DeSotos used the same body shell(think 51-52 were different body shells again), tho' its a moot point whether that makes it any easier to find a rear window............andyd

Edited by Andydodge
more info